SPEED! Where we're going we don't need, speed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yup stupidly belived the girly on the phone when i put through our house move request that they would be able to do somethiing about the speed, but it is early days yet, they might just lay in fibre optic just for me!!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I like wifi. My neighbour has it which means so do I!!! Good for my BB phone. Its quicker and easier to go on messaging services on the phone at home than the laptop.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
On the Virgin 10Mb package so not bad

I know a guy that works for BT he told me there's a lot of connectors on the copper wires that are actually aluminium which is well known for it's conductive properties isn't it? :yikes:

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
By the way, I think that Speedtest.net site vastly overestimates what speeds folks are getting. For those above getting 4 or more Mb/s, try watching a programme in HD on BBC iplayer - you might get a fright. I'm told that by Speedtest that I am getting over 5 Mb/s but iplayer only stutters, as it's not getting the 3.5 Mb/s it needs to run smoothly. I reckon I am really getting just over 2 MB/s (from Sky) and I'm only 1.5km from my exchange!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I just ran the test and got this......

I am at work though
doorui9.gif

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Well bt eng came round yesterday, fitted a new built in filte and ran a dedicated eithernet line to the hub, checked his laptop, and said" hey look its 2.45, youll be able to get bt vision now" so we tried, no dice, he called the callcenter, and no change, he said" not to worry, it will take around 24 hours to sync up to the exchange, then you should be getting this speed, if not give us a ring" so its not quite 24 hours but i thought id give it a check anyway, also the bt guy recomended this sight as a pretty level comparison, AND,,,,
982504699.png
[/URL][/IMG]

So i shall wait untill 1400 try the vision service, if works great if no, then cancel it as I dont fancy paying for a service im not getting while waiting for then to upgrade the exchange, which wont be untill march next year, I cant tget cable here and all the other providers run on the same system as bt here so not really worth swapping,

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yeah, Ill only cancel the vision part of the package, the silly thing is we only got it because we like the idea of watching a film or programme when we like, as we dont watch much live telly but record a few things and like that they put good films in the free club bit, buggers, and i didnt wrap my knife well enough when wet formng the sheath last night so when i cheacked it this morning it had a nice pattina on the tip, grrrr, still i might try to replicate it along the whole blade!

Last edited:

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Yeah, Ill only cancel the vision part of the package, the silly thing is we only got it because we like the idea of watching a film or programme when we like, as we dont watch much live telly but record a few things and like that they put good films in the free club bit, buggers, and i didnt wrap my knife well enough when wet formng the sheath last night so when i cheacked it this morning it had a nice pattina on the tip, grrrr, still i might try to replicat it along the whole blade!
Yeah, so much for the promise of a 2Mb minimum. Now they're marketing their 40mb 'Infinity' fibre optic service and yet they still can't get services to people they were marketing back in 2003/4

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
yup, the eng guy had just come from a lady who was about a mile from me and was on a 512 connection that kept dropping out, he said that she was the norm around here, he also said that when they upgrade the exchange to fibre it will still be copper from the exchange to houses, so he doubts very much that people will see the top speeds that they are toughting unless you get cable! good advert,

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
BOO! bt vision is not working, this is due to poor actual line speed, the previous engineer was supossedly looking at the sync speed which is the maximum your hub can talk to the exchange, but this speed is capped to maintain a stable service, so now binning bt vision and getting sky, EDEN here i come!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE