Special belt pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Another wee gift for myself. I fancied a new pouch for my travels and have made a couple new ones but have decided upon this one

It's made from veg tan sheepskin, very strange leather to work with! i lined the whole pouch with kid, and all the edges are bound with the same kid. mystery braid straps and antler toggles. all hand saddle-stitched with artificial sinew

Here it is with my traditional kit; my norse belt and the knife i made the other day

jici.jpg

gzhb.jpg

yvow.jpg

59nr.jpg

this pouch was a lot of fun to make as it took some planning to make sure each stage was done in the right order so that all the seams were tucked under the next one to make it neat if that makes sense

now to get working on a new pair of turnshoes to match my little set :)

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
Great stuff! Your leather working skills are top notch. I'm about to make a new sheath for my Mora bushcraft knife, any insights into the type of leather I should use? Your sheath there is simple, straightforward, kinda what I have in mind.
Cheers
Alex

Dreadhead

Great stuff! Your leather working skills are top notch. I'm about to make a new sheath for my Mora bushcraft knife, any insights into the type of leather I should use? Your sheath there is simple, straightforward, kinda what I have in mind.
Cheers
Alex

Thanks really appreciate that. I used veg tan side i think, around 1.2-1.5mm and wet moulded it round a liner i made. there are more details in the knife thread linked in my first post

Dreadhead

How thick is that sheepskin, Hamish? I'm thinking interesting sheaths, maybe?

its really strange stuff and no good for sheaths i don't think. i got them in leprevos special offers at £5 each so bargain, beautiful stuff. but it is 1-2mm and VERY spongey. i tried wet moulding it to make my knife sheath originally, but found it looked like a knobbly member so went with the clean veg tan instead :lmao:

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Righto, mate, that tells me all I need to know, and a little bit that I didn't need!!!!

It's back to the Leprevo buffalo for me methinks...

Dreadhead

Righto, mate, that tells me all I need to know, and a little bit that I didn't need!!!!

It's back to the Leprevo buffalo for me methinks...

yeah that buffalo your using for your sheaths is beautiful!

Hey, that's pretty cool. Nice work :)
That leather looks so soft and supple, is it?

oh it's very supple and soft leather. got another hide left so plenty of more projects to come with this stuff :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Really nice work there Hamish. Like it a lot. Pouch is unusual but still ticks all the boxes. Like the double back and through on the belt when your wearing it - adds to the authenticity for me. Especially when your wearing "poor mans chain-mail". (The jumper your wearing a lot of movies the chainmail was silver sprayed wool knits.)

Looks a great set.

ATB,
Colin.

Dreadhead

Really nice work there Hamish. Like it a lot. Pouch is unusual but still ticks all the boxes. Like the double back and through on the belt when your wearing it - adds to the authenticity for me. Especially when your wearing "poor mans chain-mail". (The jumper your wearing a lot of movies the chainmail was silver sprayed wool knits.)

Looks a great set.

ATB,
Colin.

Thanks Colin :) to be honest i had something completely different in my head, and somehow made this. but i'm still chuffed anyway. Oh aye the jumper certainly aint authentic, and i shant be spraying it!

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
Is that one of the unstretched sheep hides Hamish. I picked one up from LePrevo about a month ago as it looked different but wasn't really sure what I could use it for - until now of course :)

Colin

Dreadhead

Is that one of the unstretched sheep hides Hamish. I picked one up from LePrevo about a month ago as it looked different but wasn't really sure what I could use it for - until now of course :)

Colin

not sure about unstretched. It was under their special offers labelled as veg tan merino sheep at £5 each so i bought four :) have made loads of pouches, and once i get more aritificial sinew through the post will stitch up the turnshoes im working on tis lovely stuff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE