Spear shafts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You know, just in case anyone tries to invade my Lochside des res...

Do I debark the shafts or not? Or doesnt it matter?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you want to really do it right, then fire harden it. Almost like the shugi-ban ? something like that; the way the Japanese scorch wood to strengthen and rot proof it.

Anyway, you can, with care, you can make a narrow stick bend if you don't do it evenly, roast a shaft and it'll strengthen it and make it more insect proof too.
It sort of sweats out and shrinks down tight and hard.
Works for arrow shafts as well.

It's a great public activity, just don't let them touch the hot wood :)

M

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Is this a thrusting or throwing spear? Britain was/ is home to
A tradition of fighting. Errol Flynn aside; you want a very straight, stable and sanded SMOOTH
‘Wee Stick’ for close in parrying and shifting grips.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Slightly off topic, 'sure I read somewhere that, 'Acer' referred to spear shaft material. I've no idea of just how it was prepared.
Perhaps some History Buffs might step in on this one.
Regards All

Ceeg

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
'sure I read somewhere that, 'Acer' referred to spear shaft material.
Being born curious and not being dead yet I looked at the etymology of the word: basically uncertain and even meaning beyond "maple" not clear. Close variants seem to be pointy and sharp, no shaft mentioned. So maybe but uncertain.

I guess I would make a lousy fact checker. :angelic2:

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We're taught in Archaeology that Ash is by far the most widely used in the remains that have been found in W. Europe, this includes the British Isles and Scandinavia. Hazel is next, but it's at something like 10% of the Ash, which comes in at over 70% by itself.

Ash grows lots and lots of nice straight saplings....just the right size. Nice timber too.

M

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
One of the things that surprised me in British Woodland was how many woods are used for different things.
If you want to go really early, yew as it the oldest used so far.
Apparently Rowan is to be avoided as it does not last.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE