Spear and Jackson 22 inch blade Machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Ordered from Parker Tools (no connection) via Amazon, cost £12
http://www.parkertoolsonline.co.uk/desktopmodules/catalookstore/ImageViewer.aspx?link=Graphics%2fProduct+Images%2fOutdoorGarden%2fmacchete22.jpg&desc=Spear+%26+Jackson+22"+Machete+Garden+Tool&PortalID=0&viewerid=-1&mid=-1

Delivered in bubble wrap and cardboard, looking like a machete.

Very blunt when delivered, it took some time with a file to get anything like a usable edge on it. The first few inches of the blade are completely unsharpened, but that is not important considering the point of the tool is the reach afforded by the length of the blade.

Surprisingly light, thin and very springy. The handle was too thin to be really comfortable (however I doubt anyone here would have any trouble fixing that if they wanted to) and it was not very comfortable to hold due to the balance being heavily tipped towards the oversized end.

However once down on the allotment it did exactly what I wanted it for, that is to clear the brambles and general overgrowth that grows through and over the fence. Here it performed perfectly with no discomfort even using it at shoulder height over the top of the fence. The extra length and the heavy tip do exactly what they are designed to do, and kinetic energy does the cutting when you swing it. It did what was required of it, and even managed the lower branches of an overgrown fruit tree. I expect it will go on doing what is required of it, day in and day out, no frills and cheap as chips.

Is it a replacement for a billhook? Of course not, however it did things the bill hook could not at a distance the bill hook could not reach.

Would I use it to cut down a 3 inch sapling? Probably not, the saw on my SAK can do that :) though my billhook is more capable.

Split logs and kindling? You would have to be crazy to even think about it! anyway isn't that work for an axe or hatchet?

I certainly would not carve with it, though I dare say it potentially has other uses than as a pure slasher though I would not remotely consider it as a survival tool (unless I had to cut my way through miles of overgrowth). How it compares with a parang, I do not know as I have never used one. I would expect given the shape and curve of the blade it would be like chalk and cheese. Comparing it with my last machete (the one my inconveniently lost for me) it is quite a different kettle of fish, that one had a mere 18 inches overall but it was somewhat thicker, and a lot deeper with a much more comfortable balance in the hand. Not necessarily more effective though.

Verdict: A good gardeners tool which does what is asked of it. Cheap and easily replaceable. For £12 you can't go wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE