Speaking of Dutch Ovens

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
My sister in law just got me a Jamaican Dutch Pot (the famous "Dutchy").
Has anyone used one of these before in a bushcrafty way?
It is 1/4 inch aluminium and the same shape, size, lid etc as the cast variety. The thing for me is that it's less than half the weight. I have the cast variety and love it but have not used my Dutchy in anger on embers yet. Obviously temperatures need to be lower - although 900 degrees is a little excessive for dampa anyway.... cooking times will be shorter too as the thing heats up almost instantly.
And now you've all got "pass the dutchy on the left hand side"! stuck in your head for the rest of the day I'll sign off......

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
If you like hot/carribean food... Take a look at Levi Roots Carribean Cooking book, I think he uses one of those pots in there!
I imagine it be fine if used on a high grill or tripod hanging system.... But too close or in direct embers i imagine it would melt! I've seen a trangier melt before so imagine its the same sort of Alu?

Can you season it in the same way you do a dutchy?

J

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
It's a lot thicker ali than a trangia (used them for years). yes seasoned in the same way as a dutchy. I've used a large and thinner ali pan on my washing machine innards brazier so am hoping the dutchy will stand even greater heat. Time will tell......

My SIL is from Trinidad and a fantastic cook so lots of home recipes as well as Levi's
A62

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE