sparkplug's homemade bacon photo journal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
That raises a good question Singe, what would be the ideal temperature for doing something like this?

I'd like to get into making my own meat products. Delia Smith taught me how to make burgers and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying pre packed ones, and you know that you aren't going to find gristle in them.

Home cured bacon looks interesting and something the kids would enjoy helping with. I may do a test of both Sparkplug's method and cattyman's and see which one comes out best :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I might have to give this a bash.
The best bacon I ever tasted came from an old farmer friend - passed away a few years ago. Used to regularly see dozens of curing hams in his kitchen, hanging from the ceiling. I've never heard of the "soaking" stage though, does this prevent the white goo that forms when being cooked?

ATB

Ogri the trog

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Wow - just noticed the replies to this, sorry it's taken a while.

To answer what I can...

fishy1 said:
Could you get the same effect without draining by using a container with holes in it, just like dry salting mackerel?
Yes, that should work just fine. Curing time might change a bit but not drastically.

Singeblister said:
Once its cured would it be ok to take it out on a trip using it daily for say a week if it was kept cool or does it need to be in the fridge ?
Although I've never tried taking mine 'on the road' It should keep for a week without too much of a problem - especially if you can cold smoke it. I'd maybe freeze it and carry it from frozen to help it last longer. It might be a bit hard and dry by the end but as long as it's not too hot and humid you should be OK. If it's starting to toughen up you can always boil the bacon up and have it as an evening meal - it's really good with lentils or peas especially if you can bung in a rosemary branch and some garlic. Again, you might want to soak it in fresh water for a couple of hours to get rid of excess saltiness. If your cooking water tastes too salty so will your bacon, but you can always throw it away and add some fresh. Cooked for a couple or three hours this becomes really tender and tasty.

TheGreenMan said:
Anyone tried smoking home cured bacon up a chimney?
Not up a chimney, but I do have a cold smoker and regularly do bacon in it - smoking helps preserve the meat longer and also adds a really good flavour. If you want to do it in a chimney or over a fire (hang from a tree branch over a campfire) you just need to make sure it's far enough away from the heat that the bacon smokes and doesn't cook.

cobweb said:
That raises a good question Singe, what would be the ideal temperature for doing something like this?

I'd like to get into making my own meat products
Ideal temp is vague at best. Most references are to 'cool cellar' or 'larder' and my guess is that this is as much to keep the flies off as anything else. I've done this at room temperature with no problem but usually cure it at something around 10 deg Celsius.

Getting into making your own meat products is good fun and always tastes better than what you can buy. Books which have informed and inspired me are: The River Cottage Meat Book Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall ISBN 0-340-82635-5, Home Smoking and Curing Keith Erlandson ISBN 0-09-177825-5, The Home Book of Smoke Cooking Jack Sleight & Raymond Hull ISBN 0-7153-6206-2

Ogri the trog said:
I've never heard of the "soaking" stage though, does this prevent the white goo that forms when being cooked?
No. The cold water soaking is only required to take any excess saltiness out of the meat. The white goo that comes out of supermarket bacon comes from a process they use which pumps the meat with salt water which not only cures the meat but also dramatically increases the weight by adding lots of cheap water that you pay for at the same price as the meat. This is a clever way around the problem that traditional dry curing takes natural moisture away from meat. My piece of bacon weighs significantly less than the original piece of meat whereas the supermarked bacon will weigh more than the original cut of meat. Simple economics over flavour.

*Phew* Hope that's answered a few questions, but please ask if you have any more and I'll be pleased to share my experiences with you.

I'd like to get into making my own meat products. Delia Smith taught me how to make burgers and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying pre packed ones, and you know that you aren't going to find gristle in them.

Home cured bacon looks interesting and something the kids would enjoy helping with. I may do a test of both Sparkplug's method and cattyman's and see which one comes out best :D

That Gristle ruins food for me I hate eating supermarket rubbish but the mrs just keeps buying it and telling me to stop moaning, the only problem I have with making all my own stuff is the time ,,, ahh well at least i have some nice bacon on the way :D

Thanks for the reply Sparkplug , I will see how this batch turns out , going to try some un rinsed to see how it is some washed off and soaked , and I will also have a bash at smoking a bit ,,,,, if there is any left :lmao:

cattyman

Mar 23, 2008
lancashire UK
my bacon was ready yesterday, today i sliced it and had some for brekkie, absolutely fantastic,nearly 11/2 pints of liquid came out over 41/2 days. its hard to believe the taste difference till you try it......

I had some of mine today 3rd day of cure not much liquid came out , the rest is still in there though, Mine was very nice , i just rinsed it off under the tap and sliced it , it was a bit on the salty side , so I might soak the rest before i freeze it or smoke some of it

cattyman

Mar 23, 2008
lancashire UK
I had some of mine today 3rd day of cure not much liquid came out , the rest is still in there though, Mine was very nice , i just rinsed it off under the tap and sliced it , it was a bit on the salty side , so I might soak the rest before i freeze it or smoke some of it

its better if you leave it at least 4 days.how many times did you rub your cure into it, i only do it once and its never salty and i just pat it down with a clean cloth never wash it .

I have just been to my trade meat suppliers to cut up some orders for my dads ex shop customers (my dad used to have a butchers shop). I managed to win a full belly pork for bacon and enough beef and pork trim to make about 70 burgers in leau for my time and trouble.

The belly pork has now started its journey to bacon following sparkplugs recipie.

I'll post my results.

Bodge:D :D :D :D :D

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Look forward to seeing the results Bodge, quite fancy having a go at this myself - closest I've come is making my own Chinese crispy belly pork :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE