Spain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi guys, i am trying to organise myself a trip to Spain at the end of September, i will be traveling down to Bilbao by ferry with my car so i will be pretty self contained and want to end up just outside Malaga so the missus can fly back at the end of her leave. We want to take in the interior of the country and some of the National parks, any thing a must see? i have a book listing campsites but how is wild camping viewed?. Any help is greatfully recieved, and im sure i will have more questions later.

cheers
louis

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
One thing to remember that open fires are a serious no no.. even after October you need a permit of sorts. I lost 10 acres of forest and another 10 acres of olive trees a couple of years back due to a man made forest fire.
I believe that wild camping is like here, illegal without a landowners permission, but as long as it is not near a built up are you will be absolutely fine. Most places it is illegal to camp on the beach though. Quiet spots would prob be ok, but if they got signs up, they mean it. Spanish police love on the spot fines, so beware... Oh, and any form of screen (such as sat nav) was made illegal in the front of a car in Spain a couple of years back.

In my opinion, the Pyrennees is not to be missed if you can make it, but also any of the mountain range down south should be visited. If you are near Almeria you MUST check out the huge castle there and of course the Alhambra near Granada. Oh, and avoid anywhere that sells fish and chips....

leon-1

If either of you are into climbing you could look at some of the climbing mecca's.

Sella, Penon D'Ifach (at Calpe), Mascarat Gorge, Toix and Puig Campana. On the Penon there is a bit of a corker called Polvos Magicos, myself and a couple of mates climbed it a few years back and it was worth it if only for the view:D

Rod

On a new journey
The Sierra de Gredos - Spain's best kept secret :27:. Mountain trekking with wild camps in caves and rock shelters - fantastico! The Gredos mountains are about 2 hours by coach North of Madrid and run east to west across Spain and into Portugal. There are webcams available on the area. Pretty wild and beautiful countryside. Very few Brits have heard of them and have been there. We accessed the mountains by trekking up from Bejar (6km up hill in 90 degrees) to village of Candelario. There is a Cicerone guidebook on the area written by a Brit girl that moved out there which is really accurate (send pm if you would like the ISBN). DON'T waste money on any others esp. Lonely Planet :AR15firin

hope this helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE