Sow it begins...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Tonight I started off 3 types of Tomato and 4 types of pepper in a heated propagator on the window sill. The heated propagator was a gift from someone who was moving to a flat and no longer had a garden. I've never used one before, but I'm hoping it will help germination.

I planted 22 Pepper and 25 tomato seeds. I have space for about half that, so if I have good germination I may have to see which friends want tom/pepper plants.

What's everyone else sewing?

J

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Just picked up a lot of seeds for and with the dementia hub I'm involved with through my Dad, everything from tomatoes and peepers, sprouts peas and beans to cauliflower etc busy week ahead.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
When I came here today I was asking myself the same question.. so yes - people are starting a new season :D my grandma has got hers sweat chillies and leeks up and growing already! very early, but this has been the warmest summer-autumn-winter so far so it might just make sence!...

Anyway, she is doing all of that for us this year so I'm very glad.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
The missus (SWMBO :) ) has started the first batch of peas and mangetout in the airing cupboard. She does a new batch every 4-5 weeks, so that the harvest is staggered enough to allow us to eat them all :) The toms are going in too. The seeds come from selected tomatoes that she likes at the supermarket. So we get a variety of tomatoes to eat at very little cost. We wont be growing any squash again this year though - Helene got what amounted to a nasty chemical burn on her wrist when tending the plants last autumn.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Peas and beans sprouting away on our windowsill. Garlic and rhubarb already awaay on the allotment, hurrah for the new season !

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
Started some tomato and sweet pepper seeds off in the heated propagator at the weekend. The toms are Black Cherry, Honeybee, Alicante and a nameless Beef tomato that did well outdoors. They're old seed from a couple of years ago but great varieties that I can't stand throwing out so they shall be given a chance before I sow this years seed. The sweet peppers are new seeds, a Spanish heirloom variety called Dulce De Espana which I haven't grown before, but are reputedly a tasty, versatile pepper.
This evening I sowed a couple of half trays of mange-touts, which I'll also sow in succession every 4 weeks or so.
We've also got a couple of varieties of first early spuds chitting.
We're determined to make the most out of the extra grow space we've acquired this year but now the house is littered with egg boxes, seed trays and propagators!
As for heated propagators, be careful using them on the windowsill as they can get a bit hot if they're in the sun :cool:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Apparently, the trendy thing over here is an annual spring seed exchange called "Seedy Saturday." At a local school, March 05.
All over the country, I am told.
We can have killing frosts in early June so the household clutter has to be endured for quite a while.
Ironically, I have been invited to do a short session on the vegetative propagation of grape vines!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Well Dad's greenhouse is finally up and glazed ( a few panes missing ) shelves and planters in, tomato seeds in and now the fun :) he wants to dig up part of the garden for spuds, not the first time I've had to explain to him that it's not going to happen :)

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
I moved the tomatoes and sweet peppers out of the heated propagator and onto the windowsill. The germination rates of the old tomato seeds were quite good, although a few have since died off. The germination rate of the peppers was excellent. So I started some more tomato seeds off in the heated prop now it was empty. These were Sweet Million (red cherry), Green Zebra (green and stripey), Orange Banana (orange plum) and Tiny Tim (dwarf cherry) for the kids to grow. Things are starting to get busy!

inthewilderness

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
Just starting a few things here. Some peppers, celery, onion seed and, some lettuce for the cold frame boxes. Still 16 inches of snow on the ground and although around freezing lately for highs, it could just as easily be well below zero F (-20 C) Typical weather here. Won't be long before the windowsills will be covered with plants.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Took our pea and bean plants from windowsill to greenhouse. Buternut squash now germinating in their place.
Planted a row of sweet bell turnips, thinking what the heck, its only a few seeds......
Rhubarb coming throuh nicely.Feels like we are off again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE