Sourcing flint for knapping

Feb 12, 2008
Essex
Hi there,

I'm interested in doing a little flint knapping and recently had a day learning some of the basics.

I'm looking tho at trying to find a flint supplier - any suggestions? I'm based London / Essex area.

I found a place online that seems to send it in the post (£10 p&p) but only to people who have already bought kits. I'm happy enough to use own found hammer stones or home made copper bobbers, pressure flakers so wasn't really going to go down this route.

Many thanks,
Douglas

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi there,

I'm interested in doing a little flint knapping and recently had a day learning some of the basics.

I'm looking tho at trying to find a flint supplier - any suggestions? I'm based London / Essex area.

I found a place online that seems to send it in the post (£10 p&p) but only to people who have already bought kits. I'm happy enough to use own found hammer stones or home made copper bobbers, pressure flakers so wasn't really going to go down this route.

Many thanks,
Douglas

Areas with chalky bedrock are good spots to start, try some UK geology sites and see what they come up with. Also beaches are quite plentiful.

Could be a good excuse for a trip out somewhere.

Rich

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
I've already raided the collections of stones that the children had brought back from seaside holidays and now have a collection of flint shards!

Geoff :eek:

Well the downs are a good place to look, they are chalk & consiquently carry Flint deposits.

Take a trip to the Ridgeway, White horse hill/Uffington way. Ploughed fields can yeald some as can paths cut into the landscape.

It's a beautiful place to go any way.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here.

Bleeding stuff is everywhere!

This is one of the farm fields yesterday
2288116143_2b553dabe5_o.jpg
. Average sized nodule is about 2lb bag of sugar but they get as big as basketball sized

Walk the south downs as Hedgehog says and fill yer pack - heavy stuff mind you

Red

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Yeah, I'd get one of those wooden toy cart thingies that kids have, much easier to use than carrying forty pounds of dead weight!

Take one of the kids and you would'nt have to push it either. ;)

Not that I live in MK but if anyone does, where they are pretending to build the new bus/coach station just as you come off J14 of the M1 pull into the car park area but instead of turning right and going into the car park turn left and park then delve in the bushes. I found a few bits when my 4 year old needed a leak desperately. I think they have just been moving landfill dirt to the area and they got a load or two with some flint in it.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Well the downs are a good place to look, they are chalk & consiquently carry Flint deposits.

Take a trip to the Ridgeway, White horse hill/Uffington way. Ploughed fields can yeald some as can paths cut into the landscape.

It's a beautiful place to go any way.

I think a trip to Wittenham Clumps is in order (a northerly outcrop of the chalk downs)! :)

Or down to Uffington. We're due a trip there soon - my parents-in-law's ashes are at the White Horse and the anniversary is coming up soon.

Geoff

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
Our neolithic ancestors use to dig down a little for their flint the theory is they were looking for non weathered flint apparently the best quality flint.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE