Anyone have access to any flint for knapping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Mods - wasn't sure where to put this so please move if there's a better place.

Hi All, I have been swatting up on flint knapping recently an really want to give it a try.

I haven't been able to locate anything in my area bigger than my thumb (though there are plenty of good hammer stones) and stuff I've found online seems to be £20 plus for anything fist sized or bigger and thats before postage.
It's infuriating as I have often walked past what seems like fields of the stuff elsewhere and never given it a thought.

Happy to cover postage and anything you think fair for your time, really want to get my head around this skill so I can make better Flint's for firelighting and have a go at arrowheads, spears, cutting tools etc...

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You’re in Surbiton, about an hour and thirty away. We’re sat on a ton of the stuff here. Pop down with the hammock one weekend and we’ll get a night out and you can fill your boot with rock.

Reactions: Toddy
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
You’re in Surbiton, about an hour and thirty away. We’re sat on a ton of the stuff here. Pop down with the hammock one weekend and we’ll get a night out and you can fill your boot with rock.

Thanks Nice65, I may well take you up on that though I will be reliant on public transport so probably have to skim down my kit to make some space to take a few nodules back with me.

Where abouts are you in Sussex, I used to camp near Tonbridge wells a lot when I used to rock climb.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Im on the Isle of Wight, 5mins walk from the beach ........Lots of flint, but I bet it would cost a bomb to post, what sort of size stones would you be looking for?
I have no idea what to look for in a stone!....

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Im on the Isle of Wight, 5mins walk from the beach ........Lots of flint, but I bet it would cost a bomb to post, what sort of size stones would you be looking for?
I have no idea what to look for in a stone!....

Probably something about fist sized or slightly bigger with some of the black flint exposed.

It's infuriating as I have family on IOW and go over regularly but were not likely to get over this year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE