Sourcing bark logs and tree cut offs for wood burning stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to season for 1 year for our open fire. We had the open fire replaced by a woodburner for reasons of ecconomy and efficiency.
With 1 year seasoned wood (I leave it in long lengths stacked on its end - just because I have no room to stack it in chopped lengths - and chop it after 6 months or when the wood store has room!) we found that the stove chimney blocked after about 1 month of constant use.
OK a lot of my wood is the dreaded wet Sycamore and the chimney is narrow compared to our old inglenook chimney AND it has a 45 degree section in it (which is where it clogs) to get the chimney up the existing hole in the blanking of the inglenook, so the problem is a combination of factors BUT I think that the main problem is that 1 year seasoned wood is just too wet to burn efficiently (especially the Sycamore), hence my moving up to 2 year seasoning.
This means that for the coming season I will be having to buy firewood (from a reputable dealer ) while I still forage and harvest as much as ever.
A lot of our wood is foraged from natural/vehicle assisted fallen branches around the lanes, plus stuff donated by friends getting new windows fitted etc as well as a good proportion coming from tree I grow in our garden hedges, including Sycamore, Willow, Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel and Leylandii.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest we use gas central heating most of the time and light the multifuel some evenings, these days burning coal and wood. I've a got a good local lad who drops wood off for me, Ash and Maple last time, a heaped Sankey trailer was £30. The fire is in the back room so some weeks it won't be lit at all.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
This maybe a bit cheeky Iocum76 but If you ever have any extra wood left im allways looking for some.Im just over the bridge in Fife.
Soloman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE