Source for the rod of Firesteel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

Tore

Hi all,
As far as I know the rod part of the Swedish FireSteel (light my fire - LMF) is actually a rod used for ignition in some sort of engine. Anyone know more about this, name of the material?
If it is true that the rods are actually a commercial item before LMF put a handle on them, I am looking for a supplier.

Regards
Tore

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

A firesteel is usually 'melted' from about 20 different metals! I don't know the names of these materials.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Tore said:
Hi all,
As far as I know the rod part of the Swedish FireSteel (light my fire - LMF) is actually a rod used for ignition in some sort of engine. Anyone know more about this, name of the material?
If it is true that the rods are actually a commercial item before LMF put a handle on them, I am looking for a supplier.

Regards
Tore

The Light-my-Fire 'Firesteel' (developed by Swedish survival expert Lars Fält) is made of a ferro-cerium alloy. It's really just a giant cigarette lighter 'flint'. With this material, the friction from the steel of the knife blade (or striker wheel of a cigarette lighter) causes the ferro-cerium to throw off a shower of sparks.

N.B. In the case of a real (traditional) flint and steel, it's the other way round: the hard flint knocks off a tiny shard of iron/carbon from the steel and ignites it into a spark.

Burnt Ash

T

Tore

Thank you all for the help.
Based on the input I was able to find some more information. Among other the inventor:
http://www.althofen.at/AvW-Museum/Englisch/biographie_e.htm
I will contact the different suppliers, although I am own part time company with knifes, sharpening, survival related equipment and Kydex sheath making. I am also running survival courses for the Norwegian Reserve-officers Association and are basically looking for a supply for resale.

If any of you know of manufactures - any additional hints will be appreciated.

Tore

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE