Source for polyethelene, and mylar?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Anyone know a good UK source to buy large polyethelene sheets? [And large Mylar sheets? Not space blankets]

As used to build the Mors Kochanski supershelters? Preferably like to hear from people who have built them.

I vaguely recall reading, the polyethelene is the same stuff they use to insulate garages or something similiar?

Where can you get it in the uk?

Thanks

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sure of the practices there but they're easy to get here. Mylar is used to vapor wrap houses before the final outer facade is put up; thus it's available at any large DIY or construction supply store.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Don't think its a problem getting them. I think the difficulty is finding someone that sells them small quantities.

Remember someone trying to find a flame retardant polyethelene for exact same purpose and all they could find was 25m+ rolls.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Not sure of the practices there but they're easy to get here. Mylar is used to vapor wrap houses before the final outer facade is put up; thus it's available at any large DIY or construction supply store.

Thanks Santaman. Do we do that over here? :confused: Im sure someone will know.

Don't think its a problem getting them. I think the difficulty is finding someone that sells them small quantities.

Thanks Jared. Just wondering what to ask for in B&Q? Or if anyone had tried it?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Anyone know a good UK source to buy large polyethelene sheets? [And large Mylar sheets? Not space blankets]

As used to build the Mors Kochanski supershelters? Preferably like to hear from people who have built them.
Large polyethelene sheets from B&Q - look for painters dust sheets - various thicknesses available.

Space blankets are exactly what you want for the reflective bit. you'll also need something like parachute material between the space blanket and the polyethelene to a) protect the polythene from punctures and b) to absorb the inevitable condensation and stop it dripping on you

This belonged to one of our little group - I haven't got a clear picture of mine :eek:

Attachments

• s-shelter1.jpg
    s-shelter1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia

Don't know about mylar but Allplas are good for polythene.

Both good links thanks chaps. The Allplas one does per metre.

Large polyethelene sheets from B&Q - look for painters dust sheets - various thicknesses available.

Space blankets are exactly what you want for the reflective bit. you'll also need something like parachute material between the space blanket and the polyethelene to a) protect the polythene from punctures and b) to absorb the inevitable condensation and stop it dripping on you

This belonged to one of our little group - I haven't got a clear picture of mine :eek:

I'll have a look for poly painters dust sheets. Thanks Biker.

I just have to work out which is most cost effective. I need enough for the four man one. The one with the bunk beds facing each other.

bikething

May 31, 2005
BI'll have a look for poly painters dust sheets. Thanks Biker.
It's what we all took to Canada - you can get away with the lighter stuff if it's just for a night or 2. If you're planning on making it a week or more go for the thicker stuff. I went for the "Medium heavy duty low density" 3.6m x 3.6m one for my one man shelter. It's heavier to carry - but that's a trade off you have to make based on your requirements.

And it's Bikething by the way - Biker's got a lot less hair ;)

I just have to work out which is most cost effective. I need enough for the four man one. The one with the bunk beds facing each other.
Space blankets can be got from the pound shop - If anything the thin ones have a better mirror effect to bounce those IR rays about than the thicker, but slightly matt finish ones like the AMK sheets. Lots of little ones overlapped will work just as well as one big one.

The polythene, on the other hand has to be a continuous sheet to form the 'bubble' that traps the warm air. A hole the size of a pencil would seriously reduce the effectiveness so make sure there are no sharp sticks pointing outwards from the frame before you put the polythene over. Your sleeping platform needs to be above any gaps / joins for maximum effect. This can make it tricky getting in and out if you go for a front entry and build it too close to the fire.

on the first night we built what we thought was a reasonable fire, with 4 shelters surrounding it to maximise heat useage v firewood gathering. It was so hot between the fire and the shelters that 2 of us were stood outside of the ring of shelters in our t-shirts waiting for the fire to die down a bit :cool:. This was at about -15 degrees

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
It's what we all took to Canada - you can get away with the lighter stuff if it's just for a night or 2. If you're planning on making it a week or more go for the thicker stuff. I went for the "Medium heavy duty low density" 3.6m x 3.6m one for my one man shelter. It's heavier to carry - but that's a trade off you have to make based on your requirements.

And it's Bikething by the way - Biker's got a lot less hair ;)

Space blankets can be got from the pound shop - If anything the thin ones have a better mirror effect to bounce those IR rays about than the thicker, but slightly matt finish ones like the AMK sheets. Lots of little ones overlapped will work just as well as one big one.

The polythene, on the other hand has to be a continuous sheet to form the 'bubble' that traps the warm air. A hole the size of a pencil would seriously reduce the effectiveness so make sure there are no sharp sticks pointing outwards from the frame before you put the polythene over. Your sleeping platform needs to be above any gaps / joins for maximum effect. This can make it tricky getting in and out if you go for a front entry and build it too close to the fire.

on the first night we built what we thought was a reasonable fire, with 4 shelters surrounding it to maximise heat useage v firewood gathering. It was so hot between the fire and the shelters that 2 of us were stood outside of the ring of shelters in our t-shirts waiting for the fire to die down a bit :cool:. This was at about -15 degrees

Woops! Sorry Bikething. :eek:

Thats good advice, thanks. I've ordered a kni-co stove, and I reckon it'll be a lot more fun building one of these, than sticking it in a tent. :D

Its not the lean to one, I was thinking of. Its the one with the four bunk beds, from the Mors 'shelters' dvd.

Got a link to that canadian trip? Assuming you blogged it?

Thanks. :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Also bear in mind that the supershelter is not a rigid plan - more a set of principles that can be used to build a shelter of a size and shape that fits the situation.

Yeh, I was thinking that actually. Maybe a shelter, using polyethelene, in the shape of a steeply sided tall A frame wall tent would be worth trying. :eek:

9k=

Last edited:

bikething

May 31, 2005
Thats good advice, thanks. I've ordered a kni-co stove, and I reckon it'll be a lot more fun building one of these, than sticking it in a tent. :D
You don't put a heat source inside a supershelter (for one you'll roast like a chicken!) but the use the radiant heat from a fire in front of the shelter. One of the advantages is you get the heat of the fire (and then some) with none of the smoke in your face :)

Its not the lean to one, I was thinking of. Its the one with the four bunk beds, from the Mors 'shelters' dvd.
I've not got that DVD so we may be talking about different things? The "Supershelter" works like a greenhouse by trapping warm air as it tries to rise.

Is the shelter you're talking about more like a bender? Like this one we used in Mors' back yard - there was room to sleep 8-12 people in there on 2 layers of beds:

bender1.jpg

btw - Where are you planning on using this shelter ?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
You don't put a heat source inside a supershelter (for one you'll roast like a chicken!) but the use the radiant heat from a fire in front of the shelter. One of the advantages is you get the heat of the fire (and then some) with none of the smoke in your face :)

I've not got that DVD so we may be talking about different things? The "Supershelter" works like a greenhouse by trapping warm air as it tries to rise.

Is the shelter you're talking about more like a bender? Like this one we used in Mors' back yard - there was room to sleep 8-12 people in there on 2 layers of beds:

View attachment 19716

btw - Where are you planning on using this shelter ?

Sorry, youre right, I just checked the dvd. Its just called a bushcraft shelter, yes like that one, with an arched roof, parachute, and poly, sleeping on bough beds, near to the roof. Two bunks on either side.
Hopefully it will be used on a trip to the arctic.

Did you post any photos of that trip on the site? Have you got a link? Ta.

bikething

May 31, 2005
Sorry, youre right, I just checked the dvd. Its just called a bushcraft shelter, yes like that one, with an arched roof, parachute, and poly, sleeping on bough beds, near to the roof. Two bunks on either side.
Hopefully it will be used on a trip to the arctic.
In that case the space blankets aren't really needed (and they'll make it dark in there). They're used in the supershelter to reflect radiant IR heat down at the side of you that's away from the fire.

Free survival tip : space blankets are semi-transparent up close. A strip of it tied over your eyes ninja-turtle style makes a reasonable pair of emergency sunglasses :cool:

Did you post any photos of that trip on the site? Have you got a link? Ta.
Afraid not. It was a couple of years ago now.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
In that case the space blankets aren't really needed (and they'll make it dark in there). They're used in the supershelter to reflect radiant IR heat down at the side of you that's away from the fire.

Afraid not. It was a couple of years ago now.

I'll have to watch the dvd again.

Free survival tip : space blankets are semi-transparent up close. A strip of it tied over your eyes ninja-turtle style makes a reasonable pair of emergency sunglasses :cool:

:lmao:Thankfully I have sunglasses and a replacement pair.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is polythene the same as polyethelene? If so, then orninary Visquene is also available in DIY stores. I've bought it in sizes of about 10 x 25 (feet) IIRC. I know it sounds big but it's icredibly cheap; just cut off the size you need and save the rest for other uses.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Is polythene the same as polyethelene? If so, then orninary Visquene is also available in DIY stores. I've bought it in sizes of about 10 x 25 (feet) IIRC. I know it sounds big but it's icredibly cheap; just cut off the size you need and save the rest for other uses.

I think its the same stuff. I'll have a look for some of that visquene Santaman cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE