Soooo my wife and myself go bushcrafting for the 1 time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
I’m living in Ireland, so there are plenty of areas to go to and explore, we don’t have a car so we are a little bit limited were or better how to get to certain areas.
I’m married for nearly a year now but this is going to be our first time we’re going on a 2 day trip with sleeping outside.
She wasn’t to impressed when I explained my plan and the route to her yesterday and she found out that I have no tent :D
She: WHOOOT no tent? Do you seriously expect me to have all the ants and spiders in my hair? :D
She is from Latvia and her father was hunting with her since she was 11 years old, so she is well able for some brutal hiking, however she doesn’t like to carry things, so that means basically that I have to carry most of the stuff so she can be busy exploring.

This weekend we will try to pass the whole Wicklow way in 2 days, we will start at Gendalough and work our way to Dublin/Marley park, the total is around 100-120k so its quite a hike, however the days are very long now with the sun going down at 21:00.

I have my Bergen already packed but I think I will have to go through the content once more, I was expecting her to carry some things but the way it looks I better carry a little more and have her in a better mood than if I give her to much to hump and she is getting grumpy.
Another issue is that I had to send my Lowa Mountain boots back, they were to big and the only hick

I will update this thread with pictures when we are back, should be fun.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Have a good trip and if she complains about spiders and ants again, just shave her head, problem solved.:lmao:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I once suggested to my partner that we go camping together. We live in a very rural area and there are some gorgeous fields, with great views across the Weald. She ummed and ahhed, but the second I said there'd be no tent (it was the middle of summer. If nothing else we didn't NEED a tent) she immediately didn't want to go claiming that she didn't want to get bitten by ants or even, get this, foxes! I did explain to her that the noise the average human makes would scare away all the foxes in the parish and that we'd be LUCKY to see foxes.
She didn't do it.
Just as well because, like you, I knew I'd end up humping all the kit.
Best of luck.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
For a first time I think you are pushing your wife too hard. Acouple of years ago two
friends and myself did a cycling trip in the Outer Hebrides and we planned the route to fit in with rented Bed and Breakfasts and we had to do too many miles each day for comfort and did not see much but the dotted lines in the middle of the road instead of the lovely white sandy beaches, and wild life. Do take time to enjoy the trip and break your wife in gently , with lots of things to see and enjoy. Or it may be your last trip of this sort with her.
You want nice memories to look back on.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It does seem ambitious for a first time.

(says she who wont go out without a tent...I have just got a beach shelter with a door to it, which should do for walking)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
60 kilometres a day? Is your wife a Royal Marine? I'd definitely kick that idea into touch before you start, she'll hate you forever if you make her walk sixty k's in this heat each day! Plus, the amount of kit you will be carrying if you're gonna hump yours and hers, you'll be head down all the way and be knackered at the end of the day. You won't see anything and you certainly won't enjoy it!

If you're covering four kilometres an hour, then you will be doing well for a pleasant trip out. You can still cover a fair distance in a day at that speed, but there's no need to do massive distances. Take another look and see if there is something a bit closer that you could do, or find a circular route so that you get to see the countryside without killing yourselves. Carrying food and water for a massive distance will cripple you.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I can put you in touch with a good solicitor when she files for divorce.

I think this answers Al Murry's question 'what is unreasonable behavior?'

Don't forget your flak jacket, good luck, Pothunter.

OutbackAl

Aug 31, 2006
Ireland
Hi Nicolas
You will be relived to know that it’s not 120 Km, but about 50 odd Km for the stretch that your going to do. The Wicklow way starts in Marley and finishes in Clonegal Co. Carlow. Have a look at these links to help you out a bit.
http://www.wicklowway.com/wicklow_way_map/index.shtml

http://www.visitwicklow.ie/attractions/wicklow_way.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicklow_Way

I’ve done that stretch a few times myself and it’s a beautiful walk, but I do it over three days as I like to stroll alone and take plenty of stops to take in the views.
Are you going this weekend ? I might be around Knockree on Saturday as I’m hoping to do on over nighter . I’ll keep an eye out for some one carrying a sabre 45 and say hi:) . Have a good time and I hope the weather holds out for you.

Hope that helps
Al

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Hi Nicolas
You will be relived to know that it’s not 120 Km, but about 50 odd Km for the stretch that your going to do. The Wicklow way starts in Marley and finishes in Clonegal Co. Carlow. Have a look at these links to help you out a bit.
http://www.wicklowway.com/wicklow_way_map/index.shtml

http://www.visitwicklow.ie/attractions/wicklow_way.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicklow_Way

I’ve done that stretch a few times myself and it’s a beautiful walk, but I do it over three days as I like to stroll alone and take plenty of stops to take in the views.
Are you going this weekend ? I might be around Knockree on Saturday as I’m hoping to do on over nighter . I’ll keep an eye out for some one carrying a sabre 45 and say hi:) . Have a good time and I hope the weather holds out for you.

Hope that helps
Al

50k? that's super, absolutly no problem.

hahah that would be awesome if we could meet :)

Thanks for the good info

BTW: since you know the area well, we are planing to sleep outside (no tent) what would you say are the best places to do that? i heard there is a river on the way
were quite a few camp even if it isn't strikly permited.

OutbackAl

Aug 31, 2006
Ireland
Hi Nicolas
As far as biving up is concerned , there is plenty of forests along the way. Since your doing it in two days I’d aim for somewhere like crone or knockree for the first night to camp. Get yourself discovery maps No. 50 and 56 and they will cover what you need.
Rivers are a plenty, Glenmacnass, Avonmore, Dargle, Glencree, Glencullen, are some of them that you will come across. And plenty of streams too, so water should be no problem to get. Just remember to treat it before drinking it.:)

All the best
Al

Paddywacker

May 31, 2008
Dublin
Hey Lads,

I stayed out in my tarp on Tuesday night in Wicklow. Myself and a friend had a great evening. We try and get up there every week for a night or two. Was eaten alive by the migges ! bring some repelent, I forgot to. I was between the JB memorial and Djouce on the Wicklow way. Dude, You'll have a great time. Enjoy.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Amazing country side, the view from the part were you can see sugarloaf is worth the walk on its own.

If you can GlendaLough has an amazing tea shop(well it used to), basically someones front room. Best scones I have every had.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE