Somewhere in the Northeast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
Hi everyone, if any of you read my post in the introductions forum, you will know I used to live in the sticks and spent a lot of time in the woods and shooting, but now I live near gateshead and I have no idea where to go where I wont get bothered by youths and general village idiots (there is a lot around here).

I would like to be able to use my fix blade, however I am very aware of the laws and simple common sense with carrying knives, but as long as I can use it without worrying about scaring folk.

I would also like to be able to make fires for cooking and to give me practice with my firesteel, again, I am aware of the general etiquette with fires so everything will be taken care of and I will make sure the place is left as it should be.

So, my question is, can anybody point me in the right direction of where I can go around the county durham/gateshead area?
All suggestions will be greatly received.

Thanks.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Brockwell woods near winlaton, blaydon is £8 a night its basicaly just a wood you can camp have fires all good and close to you or theres cowclose woods in consett its bigger than brockwell but I think its £10 a night

All the best andy

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Brockwell woods is a bushcraft/back to basics campsite that is just south west of blaydon. A lot of the NE based members use it, so that could be a good choice. Cow close woods just outside of consett is similar site. The northeast members organise meets there now and again. If you ever want to join them, keep a look out here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56 for details.

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
Theres a place right next to you http://www.brockwellwood.co.uk/. A lot of regulars on here go there and if you check the Meetups and social chatter section under England North, they nearly always have a monthly meeting there. No doubt some of the lads will give you more detail than I can give.

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
Wow thanks for all the replies, even if they are all for the same places haha. Brockwell seems a little too campsite-like for me, I much prefer untouched woodland. But I will definitely check it out, it looks like a cool place!

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
So I decided to visit my folks today, and on my way I stopped off at the woods I used to go to years ago, all I can say is I am quite disappointed! The amount of rubbish was shocking, I also counted 6 old fires along the river and then found a sign that read "This area of woodland has been set aside for "Forest School Project" please respect the children's needs. keep dogs under control and leave the area as you find it" ironic much??! The area is obviously occupied by people with no respect for nature. I made sure to collect some rubbish before I left.

I'm looking to get myself to Brockwell woods in august with my dad, he grew up in Winlaton so it will be nice to see where he used to knock about too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE