Something new for my knapsack

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They're great little knives, my No.8 is my most carried knife. Light enough for backpacking trips but still capable, I use mine for battoning small sticks for my Bushbuddy, carving emergency pegs, quick pot hangers etc. They're a bit of a pain if they get wet as the wood swells and they can get stiff, but keep them dry and they'll serve you well.

Haggis

Nomad
These two are a No.8 and a No.9. Herself almost immediately washed the No.8 and used it to slice cheese while we were still out and about. I noticed the swelling the water caused, but by morning all had returned to normal. I think I've read the wood is beech, a common wood for planes. One supposes that the beech would be fairly stable in the long term.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Tung oil will still cause it to swell untill it dries out. I used linseed on mine once and it took about 2 years before I could open it easily, never had that problem since.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
My #8 carbon is also my most carried knife. Best value for money for a folding blade that I ever bought I think. I never had any issues with it not opening yet, but I also haven`t been in very wet conditions with it. I use it more in "ordinary life" than in "the field". A bit of vaseline in the locking ring has made it twist very smoothly as well. Great knives.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I got my no.8 carbon a while back and must say I haven't used it for an awful lot. But when I have it's a cracking little knife for the money, the back strikes a ferro rod really well when it's locked shut too :). I love it but I always reach for a fixed blade- must use it more often! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE