Somerset edge grinders?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thomascraft

Dec 13, 2016
Nairobi
Hi, I'm likely to get my hands on my Great Grandpa's set of gouges (no idea on tool maker yet). From the info I have from my Uncle who is currently the custodian, is that they will need more than a sharpen. Can anyone recommend a good tradesman who could look at them and bring the edge's back to their former glory (or as close to this as possible)?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hi, I'm likely to get my hands on my Great Grandpa's set of gouges (no idea on tool maker yet). From the info I have from my Uncle who is currently the custodian, is that they will need more than a sharpen. Can anyone recommend a good tradesman who could look at them and bring the edge's back to their former glory (or as close to this as possible)?
If Dave budd is not too busy , then he has the tools and the skills to bring these back to life...Question is , does he have the time? 😉
Otherwise , I'd look into each of these tools and learn the process to re-profiling and re-sharpening them as you will need to learn it anyway and then you've gained more then just the heirloom tools .

Agreed that if they're really badly damaged and/or miss shapen it would be nice to start afresh with all the right symmetries/angles etc. , and in that case is best to seek professional advice.

It will be easier to judge that when indeed you receive the tools , as they may actually be fine and just need honing.

Look forward to seeing these, there is nothing more satisfying then bringing old quality tools back to life and to having them working as they were meant to be.
Good luck with your endeavours and remember to share your progress and post pictures here if at all possible.
👍👍

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Are these likely to be carpenter's/wood-worker's chisels or the curved (aka sweep) wood carving gouges?
Most all of the full time or advanced amateur wood carvers here should do the tune-ups for a reasonable price per piece.

Thomascraft

Dec 13, 2016
Nairobi
They're wood carving gouges, a mixture of curved sweep and v sharper. Not chisels. Ideally want someone close to home who can do it with a running dialogue.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Not sure whether he would do it, but Alistair James of Madregal Designs, a blacksmith based in Edington in east somerset, might be able to do that sort of work. he used to make reenactment weapons and armour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE