Someone to sharpen my knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Hey guys,

Now, this isnt some lazy request, before ya start ya judgin talks :p

I can sufficiently sharpen my blade to stupidly sharp fairly well. Its cuts and carves well as overall is damned good as a blade. The only issue I have is that I'm slightly worried about the state of the blade. Its nicks easily even after being stropped within an inch of its life and this worries me slightly. I'm hoping it's just my inefficient skill rather than something wrong with the tempering of the blade, so am humbly asking if there is anyone of here than is in the business of sharpening blades for a price. Really just to set my mind at ease by cleaning the edge up and possibly giving it a test to see about it's durability. For info, its made from 02 steel.

Cheers

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
got a picture mate?

I'm guessing it needs a new profile, or a secondary bevel if the edge is too fine.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Longstrider of this parish will help you out, (as he did me), but Samon may be right - maybe you sharpened it to within an inch of its life. You can over-sharpen a blade.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If the edge is becoming damaged with 'normal' use, then chances are that it has been honed at too fine an angle (resulting in a very sharp, but very thin and insufficiently supported edge somewhat akin to that of a straight razor. (A razor is good at what it is designed for, but that's NOT cutting wood ;) ), .... or ... The blade has not been tempered sufficiently to the point where the steel has resilience. Quenched (but not tempered) steel is VERY hard, but it's brittle, rather like a piece of glass. This can result in blades that are too hard (and with sharp edges) 'chipping out' when put to use. It wouldn't take much to test it, either with hardness testing files, or simply by doing the 'Brass Rod Test'. If the edge is simply too fine for the tasks the knife is being put to, then a re-profile of the edge will sort the problem.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Matty... If ya want sharp then Longstrider is your man..... THIS sharp actually :D

image.jpg

ls2.jpg

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thank you Dave for re-posting those fantastic pictures ! :) I have now saved them to file. They're probably the best 2 stills shots I've ever seen of a cut in action :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The first one with the can is a stunning picture.
Ian, do you produce that knife just for people wanting to compete or is it available to anyone.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
The first one with the can is a stunning picture.
Ian, do you produce that knife just for people wanting to compete or is it available to anyone.
I will happily make a knife like that for anyone. No need to be a BladeSports competitor to have one :) I will say though, that the edge of a true competition knife is somewhat akin to owning a racing car ... REALLY fast, but not really all that practical for popping down the chippy in ;) (i.e really fine and easily damaged by a bit of edge torsion or similar. A slightly heavier edge is better suited to most uses) Of course, the edge geometry can be made to suit any need from shaving the legs of passing gnats, to chopping copper central heating pipe in to pieces (yes, it can, and has been done ;) ) My own competition knife is made from 8mm thick stock, but I find most folks are happier with something a tad lighter, and opt for the same knife made from 6mm stock. BTW ... why will 'Return'/ 'Enter' not allow me to set a new paragraph on BCUK anymore ??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE