Someone has been done for carrying folding knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Assume it was locking, as it isn’t illegal to carry a sub 3” folding knife.

Unless he stupidly posted or told someone he was going to use it as a weapon, but then it’d be an Offensive Weapons charge I’d have thought.

Reactions: Garnett

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
And to be honest … if you were involved in a riot situation I doubt you get away with carrying a legal edc ;)
That's what I was wondering (since I couldn't manage what Chris managed to do and find any mention of whether it locked)

It seems sensible to me that in or close to riots, the the bar is raised in terms of justifying that you didn't intend to use it as a weapon, but I'm not sure that forms part of the law.

Reactions: Chris

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Same as in courts, schools, football matches … any blade will be treated as intended violent use. As far as I know …

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Linerlock

Was that the knife in question? Tactical black, one handed opening by sliding the stud to give it an auto look and action, dagger blade with false edge? If so, that’s good policing, the intended usage of a knife like that isn’t opening a packet of HobNobs.

Edit: Yep

IMG_1744.jpeg

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
If so, that’s good policing, the intended usage of a knife like that isn’t opening a packet of HobNobs.
Who are you to say what a knives appearance have to do with what the owner intend to use it for? Ooh, evil black tactical! I have a similar Benchmade and use it for cutting cardboard. I have because it is nice looking, good quality, sharp and easy to open onehanded because of the stud on blade.

Reactions: John59

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Who are you to say what a knives appearance have to do with what the owner intend to use it for? Ooh, evil black tactical! I have a similar Benchmade and use it for cutting cardboard. I have because it is nice looking, good quality, sharp and easy to open onehanded because of the stud on blade.

To be fair, I think the fact he turned up at a riot with it gives away the intention.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m not, don’t generalise and try to turn this into a civil rights issue. I’m referring to this specific scenario You’re not cutting cardboard at the site of a predicted riot just as this guy wasn’t opening biscuits. If he’d been like you and had a good reason then fine. I’m very used to knives, I’m really speaking of the perception of most people. I still get comments about illegality of carrying a knife when it’s a Swiss Army, and as Chris says, the guy has tooled up with a dagger and got himself to a predicted riot. It’s good policing, and his possible intent was clear, he may well have got himself involved in knife violence which is a far bigger nail in the coffin for our knife laws than me commenting on intent.

What model of Benchmade do you have?

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Doug Ritters collaboration model.
That’s a lovely knife. I had the orange handled one for years but it lived in a drawer and my Mel Pardue did all the work. This was my daily carry for work on a bright orange lanyard, and it got hooked out of my pocket by brambles or bracken and disappeared into a brash pile I was mincing down with a chainsaw.

Seeing orange fibres in my saw chain I dug through and found it, back of the handle sawn into. I repaired it with Sugru as you can see. A superb black handled knife being used properly, as you use yours.

IMG_5274.jpeg

I’m not sure how aware you are of the far right demonstrations and police battles in the UK at the moment, but none of these knives would be in my pocket in a town. I do think the black blade, false edge, and clicky open blade on the cheap Camillus make intimidation its likely use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE