Some very talented DIY people here...but spoons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 27, 2011
Canada
Hi everyone. I've been looking through the DIY threads, and gotta say, there are some very talented folks here making beautiful useful bushcrafty items, but I've noticed a plethora of carved wooden spoons folks make, EVERYWHERE. :dunno: Now, my family is three generations removed from Brighton(we all migrated to Canada), and things may be lost in 'translation', but what's the big fascination with carving wood spoons? In all humility I'm perplexed.
Help me out with this odd cultural trait. Welly's, Brelly's, and chip buddies I understand, but spoons?:slap:
Cheers
Alex

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm sort of with you on this one, I buy wooden spoons five for a £1 but...I suppose whittling a wooden spoon is a pleasant way of passing the time when camping and there is skill involved (Wales has a tradition of 'Love Spoons' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovespoon ) but to be honest its not for me although I could knock up one in push came to shove but it would be far a rougher spoon than the folk who enjoy spoon making as a hobby.

PS, its 'Chip Butty' as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_butty sort of, lots of variations on that theme, plus 'Brolly' as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella ;)

Where in Canada are you?

entherder

Aug 11, 2011
Central Illinois
I look at wood craft as simply knife skills. For all the money some of us pay for our lovely knives, if you can't use it for more than cutting cordage and prepping food, then you have kind of missed the Bush craft boat (coracle). Spoons, bowls, bread boards, try sticks and the like all teach you how to use your knife and make it earn it's place in your kit. Honestly, it can get a bit dull when the Sun goes down early and carving up a spoon or something can help pass the time. :)

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
I'm sort of with you on this one, I buy wooden spoons five for a £1 but...I suppose whittling a wooden spoon is a pleasant way of passing the time when camping and there is skill involved (Wales has a tradition of 'Love Spoons' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovespoon ) but to be honest its not for me although I could knock up one in push came to shove but it would be far a rougher spoon than the folk who enjoy spoon making as a hobby.

PS, its 'Chip Butty' as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_butty sort of, lots of variations on that theme, plus 'Brolly' as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella ;)

Where in Canada are you?

Thanks for info on chip butty and such. I'm located in Western Canada. Edmonton Alberta. This is wonderful country, big open skies, big open land. I'm fortunate to live here. That being said I'd love to visit Brighton and the South Downs where my family originally comes from...sigh, one day when the 'lottery gods' are smiling down on me.
Cheers
Alex

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I've made my first couple of spoons in the last few months and it really does pass the time and its a neat thing to show the kids when you get home :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Something to whittle.

What else would you whittle?

More carving than whittling but lots of folks do Woodspirits. Then there's chopsticks, pegs (both tent and clothes), bowls and cups (but they take a lot longer), butter knife, honey dipper, wooden toys for kids, make a little model boat and sail it away with all your troubles on a river. Just let your imagination run riot.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Help me out with this odd cultural trait. Welly's, Brelly's, and chip buddies I understand, but spoons?.."

For folks who are new to using a knife and working with wood, carving a spoon is a useful thing to practise the various grips and techniques.
A number of the 'Bushcraft' schools have their pupils carve a spoon on their introductory courses, if you can carve a spoon you can move on to other things, however I reckon some folks just enjoy whittling out a spoon in front of the fire. :)

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Yep, good suggestions although pegs and chopsticks are a bit boring to do many of. Spoons are good for having enough complexity to be interesting but simple enough as a starting project. Wood spirits are great but require a certain amount of artistic talent in a more defined way - my people drawing skills are dire but a curvy spoon is something I can cope with.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Alex, i have cut hundreds of blanks for spoons, at my meets, when we have a larger gathering, the task (for those who want to) is to carve a spoon, good enough to eat your dinner with, it's a great way to spend time in camp, at one of my first big meets, i set them a real challenge, to carve the above mentioned spoon, and then complete an assault course, with your spoon!

I am not clever enough to do a linky, but it's on You Tube, with the heading Bushcraft Assault Course, it is very funny and if somebody is kind enough to raise the link it would be appreciated.

Regards.

Ivan...

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Spoons are easy to make, help you with most of the grips, and are useful items around camp.
When you get good at those, the whole world of green woodwork opens up.

Buying 5 spoons for a pound isnt the point.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Hi my name is mouse and I'm a spoon whittler

Welcome to S.W.A ( spoon whittlers anonomous )

There is no hobbie here , just an addiction I can not kick please help me

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks Sandbender, from my experience, even those that have never carved before, after shaving the bark off a piece of hazel to putting a point on it, then a tent peg, the natural progression is a butter/spreading type knife and then a spoon, thats where a lot of people stop.

There is something very satisfying about carving a spoon, thats for sure. Especially when you can eat with it.

Ivan...

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
[video=youtube;qK7u1ZqLqno]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK7u1ZqLqno[/video]

:)

I'd seen this video before but it still had me laughing out loud again. The the cry of "Save me Spoon!" and him attempting to cut the rope with it made me roar! Too funny mate.

As for the spoons thing, I'm in the practice of hand to eye coordination camp. You're attempting convex curves, concave curves, straight lines, flats, rounded ends all in one small item that you can use to eat your dinner once it's completed. Add to that the job satisfaction and hopefully you're getting a better understanding and appreciation of what is involved. To paraphrase The Matrix. "There is no spoon... but a lesson in skillful workmanship."

I'm a carpenter by trade so working with wood is well within my comfort zone, that being said when you're using a knife instead of a chisel you have to develop a whole new group of skill sets. Which my first godawful attempt at a spoon testifies.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They only do it because Mr Mears does it.

I refuse to carve spoons on principle. Plus my ancestors were Tinkers who made spoons out of horn (ie plastic)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
They only do it because Mr Mears does it.

I refuse to carve spoons on principle. Plus my ancestors were Tinkers who made spoons out of horn (ie plastic)

What principle? it's not 'because Mr Mears does it' but because carving/whittling is a rewarding hobby, working out the best way to make an item out of a piece of wood is a challenge I enjoy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE