Some uses of ermine moth caterpillar silk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Wednesday I encountered this veiled tree in the park near my work (it was pristine then):

P1060067.jpg

It´s the combined work of thousands of caterpillars of a species of ermine moth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ermine_moth)

Out of curiosity I stripped a piece of the silk from the tree bark, it feels smooth like satin and is quite strong. After removing three encapsulated caterpillars I had a 5x30 cm strip of silk. I turned it into a small piece of cordage by rolling on my thigh, the end result was quite similar to dental floss silk in thickness and strength; I could lift a glass bottle with half a liter of fluid easily with it.
As a test, I put one half of the strand in water overnight and compared it with the other half that was left dry in the morning, there was no difference in strength of the thread.

So on thursday I was back to take some pictures and do some more testing.

Here´s the tree again, with my hand poking in the hole that was made by my initial test on wednesday, the silk is spun quite tightly around the bark but does not make real contact; there´s some space in between:
P1060070.jpg

Small strip torn of:
P1060071.jpg

Same strip turned on itself…:
P1060073.jpg

…and made into a short piece of cordage:
P1060074.jpg

P1060076.jpg

A 1.5 liter cola-bottle was no match and was lifted with ease. The cordage is slightly elastic and feels very strong. I reckon it can be made into snares and it might even work as fishing line.

Other uses;
instant band-aid (although the caterpillar silk might not be sterile it will probably work as a styptic by enlarging the blood surface area):
P1060072.jpg

Airtight seal for a fire piston (instead of rubber O-ring, it looks and works a bit like the teflon tape plumbers use), it gave me a chaga-coal in two tries :cool:
P1060078.jpg

P1060079.jpg

Conclusion:
Ermine moth caterpillar silk is a surprisingly strong and versatile material and can be used for strong cordage amongst other things. With some care long strips can be pulled of the tree so turning it into cordage needs less splicing. I don´t know how long this silk takes to disintegrate (I have seen it clinging on trees up till august) but if my trousers needed some on-the-trail-stitching I´d use this stuff!
Cheers,

Tom

PS It also Works great as dental floss ;)

PS PS Sometimes trees are not enough for the caterpillars:
http://www.walterreeves.com/uploads/JPGs/erminemothbicycle.JPG
http://www.dutchdailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/ermine-moths.jpg

`Natura artis magistra`, that´s what the artist Christo must have thought...:
http://media-1.web.britannica.com/eb-media/47/101847-004-B8B7CBD0.jpg

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
As another experiment I´m gonna attach a weight to the little piece of cordage I made and hang it outside, I´m very curious how long it will take to fall apart.

Cheers,

Tom

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
What is it like when wet Tom, any difference in it performance?

I found no difference in strength between a piece of cordage left in water overnight and a dry one.

When it is still a sheet (as on the tree) it sheds most water but can get wet. I haven´t tried making it into cordage when wet though but I suspect that it will not affect the silk´s strength.

Cheers,

Tom

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Brilliant thread! Thanks for this - I will be on the lookout for this stuff next time I'm out.

Thank´s all for the nice words!

Kerne,
searching might take a while; most ermine moth species are very dedicated to one species of tree. I only found 2 trees covered in the whole park. There´s another park in my hometown that had more veiled trees (willow overthere) last year, if I have time I´ll visit it next week to take a look.

Cheers,

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE