Some tools I restored! Billhooks, sickle and drawknife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
After receiving a generous gift of a load of old tools today I decided to clean a few up!

In the mix is a billhook by I.M, a billhook by Marples&sons, a sickle by ...? And a draw knife by sorby!

All were left to the giver by a dead relative and haven't been used in a very long time! The hooks were heavily dented and rusted as were the other tools I cleaned up. I also got a load of carpenters planes and Swedish files by oberg, some are too rusted to use but I'll forge them at a later date! ;)

Anyway, I'd usually do loads of pictures and a detailed wip but I'm only equipped with a tablet computer ATM and its pants for long posts etc! So I'll keep it sweet.

All the work was done with an angle grinder, an upturned sander and some elbow grease!

I finished the first billhook by I.M before I took any pictures but thought id make an effort to contribute a little more.

I also returned a little hand axe the other day but I'll snap that one later with a few other things!

Thanks for looking, any questions just ask! I'm happy to help.

Samon

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
All images should be working now, this damned tablet makes image hosting near impossible! Gona buy a laptop sooon! Lol!

Ill also rehandle the sickle and draw blade at a later date. I don't have any wood at hand due to moving!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
So are you going to use them, sell them or frame them?

There's a home here for a couple of those tools anyday.

Ill keep the IM billhook, for sure. But I may trade the rest.. I have no plans to use the others and I'm a little limited for space.

Pm me if you're interested! Lol

And thanks for the kind words dudes.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Very nicely done! The Sorby draw knife looks especially sweet. That's one thing I never find on the 'boots and the ones in junk/low end antique shops are all £30 a pop which is about what you pay for new!

ATB

Tom

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The sorby cleaned up rather well! It had a rough secondary bevel.. Not sure why someone would do that but it was in dire need of a regrind.

In the tool lot it was the first thing that caught my eye! Then I found an axe, hooks etc. Was a real treasure trove.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I reckon the billhook without a handle is actually the head of what I was taught was called a slasher - a billhooky blade with a longe handle for hedging.

I may be wrong - billhooks are so varied.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm pretty sure its just a billhook, it once had a normal handle and is near identical in size to the other.

Good thing about socketed handles though is you can make your handle as long as you like!

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Oh OK, it was just the open socket at the top and what seems to be a screw-hole on the bottom side of the socket that made me think it was something a bit more brutal than a billhook, which is a thing of elegance in the right hands (not mineI hasten to add)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Both of these hooks have screw/pin holes! It adds rigidety to the handle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE