Some sort of nuts early in the season?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xhalmers_860

Mar 22, 2011
Cardiff
Any ID on this medium size tree?

img2779ey.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

xhalmers_860

Mar 22, 2011
Cardiff
I did think they represented almonds - I have seen fresh almonds only in a turkish market. But in the north of England?

Something like peaches or apricot? I know they are related to almonds.

Sorrry I didnt get a cross section of the fruit. I'll revisit sometime.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Apricots,Almonds, peaches and plums are all prunus species and all look similar. I would still bet on Damsons.

Damsons for me too without a scale to guide. I have seen very similar on sloe recently. Not sure if it is something to do with the winter weather but I don't remember seeing this before - the old friut left on the tree I mean...

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I have seen fresh almonds only in a turkish market. But in the north of England?

Location isn't really a problem for almonds, they'll grow any where an apricot tree will grow, fruiting is the tricky bit because they flower early, they're often hit by spring frosts.
I have a few almond trees nearby, I'll get some piccies posted tomorrow so we can compare....

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Well folks, almond is off my list too now, the leaves are far too peach like...
Here are a few pics of some almond trees, unfortunatly no fruit due to february frosts...
2012_0623tracks0098.jpg

2012_0623tracks0099.jpg

I did take a piccy of a damson tree I know aswell, though there are lots of varieties so can't be conclusive....again not much fruit.
2012_0623tracks0102.jpg

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
They are ugly due to early season frost and rain damage. This years apple crop has been all but wiped out by the frosts when the flowers were setting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE