Some Scouty / Bushy pictures from Summer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've not been on for a while due to IT issues and a hectic schedule of Scouting. So to ease me back in I thought I'd share a few photos.

Over Summer I ran a Bushcraft experience for 3 groups of 15 Scouts. This was part of a week long camp, where each group of 15 got a 2 day taster on three different sub camps.

Over the 2 days with me, they lit fires and cooked over them, purified water, learnt how to poo in the woods and signal for help should it all go wrong!

Base camp...
f49875c0.jpg

The Leaders kitchen, seen from the central fueling point...
e491012e.jpg

Yours truly teaching water purification...
258248fb.jpg

The toilet "engaged sign" and hand wash. (The red dry bag contained toilet roll, hand sanitiser and matches...if it was there, the toilet was vacant)

3bb145a1.jpg

The next few shots are taken from our most recent camp, which took place this weekend. The aim of the camp was mainly learning to cook over a fire, but we had some fun too.

Early morning, fire just lit...
DSCF2073_zps113428e5.jpg

Breakfast cooking on our new range...
DSCF2118_zps3cd3f633.jpg

Mountain man breakfast...
DSCF2116_zps21a78084.jpg

Apple crumble anyone?
DSCF2115_zpsd7a198ea.jpg

Yours truly tomahawk throwing...the release
DSCF2105_zpsead8213f.jpg

...and follow though...
DSCF2104_zpsfb66dee8.jpg

My daughter, after releasing the tomahawk for the first time...
DSCF2099_zps37343eae.jpg

Final meal of the camp, fresh chicken nuggets and chips...
DSCF2121_zpscf30e39d.jpg

Hope you enjoyed looking!

Simon

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good stuff Simon, the range is looking mighty fine.
I was working opposite Mike all weekend and he was chatting about the scout tuition and how he enjoys doing it as well as the usual shop stuff.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Good stuff Simon, the range is looking mighty fine.
I was working opposite Mike all weekend and he was chatting about the scout tuition and how he enjoys doing it as well as the usual shop stuff.

I've done 2 of Mike's training weekends now...just the "test" weekend to look forwards to in April now. I really do need to get out and practice more...

I bought the range off Ebay of all places...we cooked for 13 on it all weekend, which was pushing it a bit. MAybe we need to buy a couple more!

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff Simon, good to see what you get up to with the brats.

Lovely pic of the morning fire, love the cooking rig too

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
My scout days were never as civilised.
Civilised- Thats almost barbaric compared to the ridiculous OTT approach of my troops whole group camps (beavers, cubs and scouts). Main meals cooked throughout the day by parent helpers to gourmet levels (including a full chinese night this year), snacks by the fire for leaders at night (fresh Dutch Oven Ham and Bread anyone? Or would you rather we passed the cheese board- Im not kidding) and even a sunday roast slow cooked over the fire on a home-made spit (I'll try and dig out a pick it was something to behold).

Thank god for our other camps where we can rough it up a bit!

Anyway enough bragging, looks like some good fun had there. Nice one :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE