Some recent work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
I have been doing a fair amount of greenwood work recently; to some extent it is a by product of testing the tools I have made.

I spent a couple of days at a show alongside Bardster a while back, I got to have a look and a go on his SD adze. I rejigged the handle on my own one and finally it started working for me.

Birch - a lot smaller than it looks, only about 9" long

Birchbowl.jpg

Then had another play in cedar.

BowlinProgress.jpg

Finshed.

scallopedcedar.jpg

Then had a go at another thing I like, playing with the same design in different media; one forged steel spoon one in Hazel, both modelled on Bronze Korean burial spoons I saw in the V & A

koreanspoons.jpg

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Love the bowls and the adze is great too, how does it compare to the SD? It will be nice to see a British maker
producing quality adzes. What would one of them cost?

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Am I the only one who is excited that much over the first bowl that the amazing shape of the cedar bowl just doesn't top even though its only inches.
I love the simplicity and elegance of that birch bowl, And of course I really love the sweeps and soft shapes of those spoons.
Keep posting these treasures ^^
yours sincerely Ruud

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Love the bowls and the adze is great too, how does it compare to the SD? It will be nice to see a British maker
producing quality adzes. What would one of them cost?

Hard to say at the moment- but I'll be bringing it to the Bushcraft magazine meet, so we'll be able to compare it directly. At the moment though it does all I want of it.

Price will be around £150; I plan to make some more adzes and axes this week.

Last edited:

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Great work Nic. :D

I'm curious - did you make the metal spoon first or the wooden one? ;)

Hi Stew!

As metal is is still the medium I am most confident in I made the steel one first just to get a feel for the design. You can play with variuos curves much easier in steel.

However If I wanted to do a really closely matching set I would carve the wooden one first as the shape is largely determined by the grain of the wood. I could then make a steel one to match whatever shape I have carved.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE