Some recent kitchen knives

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Boning knife.
AEBL at around 62HRC. Stabilised dyed ash that I harvested myself with black paper Micarta. Handle was shaped 100% on my belt sander, which was a first for me, where I usually spend 3+ hours with a file. Superglue finish, a little sliperier than I like, but it really brought out the depth of colour in the wood.
DSC09087.JPG
DSC09088.JPG
DSC09089.JPG

Small Veg/Meat Slicer
AEBL at around 62HRC. Stabilised black dyed spalted maple that I harvested myself. Handle shape was a bit of an experiment. Still deciding if it works, think a little longer would have been good. Superglue finish because the spalting left tiny spots were not fully filled in stabilizing. Finish could have been finished better, more sanding, but this is for me and I quit when I had had enough ;)
DSC09085.JPG
DSC09086.JPG

Small veg slicer/paring knife:
AEBL at around 62HRC. Stabilised brown dyed and natural spalted maple burl. Did an S-grind on the blade with my 10" wheel and a lot of hand blending. Cuts like crazy.
DSC09081.JPG
DSC09082.JPG

Sheaths to allow knives to go in the kitchen cutlery drawer without blunting. Tried something new, the two pancake type have only partial welts. No welt on the spine side, which makes for a snug friction fit
DSC09077.JPG

VG10 San Mai stainless damascus, bought blade that I have had since 2008. Dyed brown maple and stabilised curly redwood (sapwood). I fully re-ground the blade because it was too thick at the edge for my liking. Given to a friend as a birthday gift.
DSC09069.JPG
DSC09071.JPG

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The small veg/meat slicer is a spectacularly lovely thing; they're all very nice indeed, but that one jumped out at me!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cheers everyone. Much appreciated.

The boning knife is getting a lot of use, slicing bread and ham daily for packed lunch sandwiches. The other two are getting less use, but some. I have two earlier paring type knives in O1 so there is competition for that slot, while the boning blade is unlike anything else in my drawer.

Reactions: HillBill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE