Some of my leather bags.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
These are my first three leather bags.

First was just a small shoulder bag , 2-3mm veg tanned leather and dyed in Fiebings dark brown oil dye.

This was before I had pricking irons, so punched all the holes one at a time.

The lining was an after thought, so is not that great.

The second is my daily use work laptop bag. Probably a little thicker leather than the first. Dyed in Fiebings Spanish Brown. This time it was lined in pig skin from the outset.

I had bought some Seiwa irons by this time and that certainly helped. There are approx. 1200 stitches in the bag.

The biggest compliment I have had for this is the arguments I have had at work, were people don’t believe I made it myself.

The last one is loosely based on the Indiana Jones Mk7 gas mark case (design, size and shape are roughly the same)

3mm leather, finished in Neatsfoot oil and wax polish.

It is fitted with a cotton draw string liner.

Loads more pictures over here if anyone is interested. https://www.flickr.com/photos/leaky5/albums/72157661401260251

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Great work, I really like them all but especially the Gas Mask bag in leather ☺

Thanks, it is a big darker now after adding some polish.

A work mate has asked me to make a slightly bigger version of it for his wife. With a back draw string compartment and an open area at the front big enough to take A4 folders.

Bloodhound

Nov 17, 2015
Newcastle Upon Tyne
These are really great. Good work! I've just been watching a tutorial on YouTube for the last couple of hours about making a leather bag. I reckon I'm going tool shopping on payday. Quite fancy making one for fly fishing.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
These are really great. Good work! I've just been watching a tutorial on YouTube for the last couple of hours about making a leather bag. I reckon I'm going tool shopping on payday. Quite fancy making one for fly fishing.

I started off with the most basic of tools for my first sheath. Cheap awl, stanley knife and hammer. When you buy thread, most come with a pair of saddle needles.

Then I just started adding to my tools as I went along.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE