some of my kit for sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
We had our kit check today....

P1050387.jpg

Unpacked it looks like this......

P1050386.jpg

P1050382.jpg

Red Fox's Stuff..
P1050384.jpg

My stuff...
P1050383.jpg

thedawnawakens

Settler
Dec 2, 2012
UK
Looks pretty darn well covered in terms of kit folks, love the mix of modern meets traditional too. And must say that the sub zero crew badge is "too cool" for words. Wish I had the funds to go on a trip like this..... the closest thing I've done like this is sleeping in an igloo with many daughter last crimbo. Hope all you folks have a cracking adventure and return safely. All the best.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Thanks thedawnawakens :) ... It would be good to see your igloo if you have any pictures.Igloos are vary cool.Even if thay are in the garden

thedawnawakens

Settler
Dec 2, 2012
UK
Igloo 1.jpg

Igloo2.jpg

Yes it was cramped in there but I didnt know how long it would be before Rachel (my girl) and I would see enough snow to sleep out in again....the missus wasnt too happy as it was a school night but hey, you only live once. :cool:

thedawnawakens

Settler
Dec 2, 2012
UK
View attachment 15233

View attachment 15234

Yes it was cramped in there but I didnt know how long it would be before Rachel (my girl) and I would see enough snow to sleep out in again....the missus wasnt too happy as it was a school night but hey, you only live once. :cool:

Somewhere on my phone is a pic of Rachel sleeping inside it. Cannot find it atm but will keep looking. Yes it does look crude, used an old toolbox to make the "bricks" and chucked a load of snow on top of the structure for extra insulation.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Thanks thedawnawakens that looks very good and warm.Sleeping out on a school night now thats cool :cool: ...Me and my friend are thinking of making one on are trip and i think using a container for the block making is the way forward.Thanks for the pictures.:) ...

thedawnawakens

Settler
Dec 2, 2012
UK
Just glad I could share the experience. Yes I must say the toolbox worked a treat, that and the insulation must had been nearly a foot thick. Good luck with yours. Thanks fella.:cool:

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
I'm so sickeningly jealous of you guys. Your kit looks absolutely awesome, and I'm really surprised by the size of your loads. Lots of pics y'hear? I'll see you when you get back :)

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Ok hope this is usefull my kit for Sweeden proved to be very good especially the wool layers i wore. They kept me warm and cool when nessasary. The mittens were very good as were my sorrel pac boots, but the best bit of kit was the US mukluks as they kept my feet very warm. I would say to anybody going to the artic that a wool layer system combined with an outer Sweedish snow suit is the way to go.sak.jpgriam lavu.jpg I will add more to this when i have more time.my bushcraft 036.jpgmy bushcraft 160.jpgWhen i was not doing much it was a good job i had a good down jacket to throw on over everything.Fires in the artic dont always warm you they just take the edge off and are used for melting snow and cooking.my bushcraft 166.jpgIf you want a warm fire it will have to be at least four foot or better still the full length of your body.Copy of 100_0329.jpgThis is what i would not wear in the artic but what i sometimes wear when camping in the uk. I like making my kit but sometimes i have to go with something that works a bit beter for example, i like the look of old snow shos but i chose decafolon ones and i am glald i did they worked very well and pack down well. I compared old canvas with modern tarp material and all thu canvas is better at trapping heat it is heavey and hard to dry. Modern tarps are flimsy but light and dont hold the snow and ice but burn easy. I think i will make a very light canvas baker tent for the next trip something like this100_0278.jpgBut one piece i will be able to have a close fire and close up the front in bad weather.

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I do like the look of Mukluks, but the risk of getting them wet is to be considered. During our snow shoe trek, Remko, Teepee and I crossed the lake near the campsite following the skidoo trail. Teepee accidentally stepped into some slush (where water most probably come up through a crack in the ice and mixed with the snow). He was wearing his Doug Stoup giant boots. When he lifted his foot, the boot was instantly covered with a significant layer of ice (the slush froze instantly). I would not have liked to be in Mukluks for something like that. You have to get them off quick and dry them out, but taking them off with a layer of ice around the laces might not be all that easy. In short, Mukluks are great and comfy and warm, but stay well away from any water !

just my 2 cts ;)

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Yes not good for the wet but pac boots are not good for keeping your feet dry when your sweting, i am sure you will agree the way to go is take both mukluks and pac boots that way you have a spare for every situation :) ... Good to here from you DUCky.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
We told you to stay off the river didn't we?

There were slush pools all over the place.

Clearly we knew there was slush (we could see it in the skidoo tracks). It wasn't just on the river Wayland, it was less obvious, but there was slush on the lakeside where we all went out to look for the northern light (that is why we spent our night out by the lake on terra firma and not on the lake) and there were several 'marsh-like' areas marked on the GPS map near our campsites.

This is my point that it is difficult to stay away from water completely even when conditions are as dry as we had. As Red Fox stated having a pair of packboots and mukluks is a good idea. Mukluks for around camp and packboots for when you are out and about would be my suggestion. I opted for down booties around camp and packboots for all other travel. As I said I do see the advantages of Mukluks.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The place where we went to look for the lights was the river, not the lake.

The lake was where they held the reindeer racing near the town.

I carry both kinds of boot so that I have a change if needed but also in case the temperature rises like it did last year.

Fortunately mine share the same lines so one set of spares does for both.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE