some more carvings

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
apologies if i seem to be flooding this thread with pics, but i just wanted to show you this Woodspirit i carved yesterday. Rowan standing 17" and flat back, the grain is really nice and lifts the carving i feel. the other is Rowan too and is a W/S themed wand. tried the lottery numbers, doesn't work! thanks for looking :)

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
They are great, any chance you could let us in on your techniques? I'm new to carving and would love to try a spirit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for asking Chris, i did put something together about 4 years ago it is now gathering dust in the BCUK articles archive. either that or pop down to a North Wood meet just 40 minutes drive and ask away :)

Last edited:

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
Thanks for the link woodspirit, I'll have a good look and see what I can come up with. As for the meet, unfortunately I work shifts and that's one of my weekends working. I will keep my beady eye on the future meets as its not to far for me and it would be great to get to a social.

Thanks again 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Very cool.

I've done several wood spirits in the last year - the Grandkids seem to like them on walking sticks - but they always come out looking very sad or perhaps judgemental. Any tips on making a more jolly wood spirit?

Hi David and thank you, :) in folklore the spirit of the wood is there to protect and drive out people who would potentially do harm to the forest, hence the fierce demeanor. Somehow people have become to see him as a jolly father christmas type figure? i prefer to keep to the original folklore and make them look as they do. There are plenty of fine mountain men sculptures out there that might fit your bill though, best of luck carving with the grandkids :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE