Some like it hot (this post is "NOT FOR SISSIES!")

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I am not interested in peppers that will burn my ring. What I want is predictability when it comes to food prep for company.
I want to showcase recipes and get it right without fuss. I've followed the botany of the McIlhenny enterprise.
They don't mess with success. I buy no other brands. Don't even look.

One year, I grew some sort of peppers, all the size of green walnuts. Might have been hoping for bigger.
Anyway. With red meats like bison, elk and venison, they were to die for. The best savory compliment condiment. Gone.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
A few years ago I sailed across to the Caribbean Leeward Islands, the French island of Martinique was my landfall after leaving the Canary Islands 30 days earlier.
One aspect of life at sea without refrigeration in those latitudes is that fresh food only lasts for a limited time at sea and by the time I anchored in Fort de France I was really looking forward to fresh food, anything would do..I went into a Supermarket and bought Oranges, Grapes and small plum tomatoes in a sealed punnet. Outside the shop I tore the cellophane off the tomatoes, took a small handful and bit into them...I really thought my mouth was on fire, the most awful fiery pain in my throat and sinuses before I managed to spit them out.
I learned that although they may be round, red and look exactly like plum Tomatoes, Habanero is not a kind of plum Tomato.
Should anyone be as stupid as me, I highly recommend find the nearest ice cream seller as I did...it helps the burning sensation.....it goes away after about 12+ hours.....:aargh4:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I am not interested in peppers that will burn my ring. What I want is predictability when it comes to food prep for company.
I want to showcase recipes and get it right without fuss. I've followed the botany of the McIlhenny enterprise.
They don't mess with success. I buy no other brands. Don't even look.

One year, I grew some sort of peppers, all the size of green walnuts. Might have been hoping for bigger.
Anyway. With red meats like bison, elk and venison, they were to die for. The best savory compliment condiment. Gone.

If my limit is local Scotch Bonnet am I a sissy or kind of ok?
:)

I am with RobsonW, ok to feel the heat at entry point but not at the exit!

Scotch Bonnet are reasonably hot. They are in the upper mid for me with Habanero.

Well Janne like TuDo says your Scotch Bonnet Trumphs my little bird eyes, chilly for chilly, but like R.v., I too want predictability, its chilly for pleasure not pain, with bird eyes I can to a degree (parden the pun) control the heat & 3 green bird eyes is about my limit,
swImbo often refers to me as SISSY when it comes to hot or not.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My quest for heat depends on the specific food. For most meats and fish I also want something less than burning heat (Pescado Veracruzano is one such dish, as is an omelet) That said, there are times when heat is the goal in and of itself (Buffalo Wings and Chili are two of the dishes that can fall in either camp)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
In the picture they look like cayenne peppers. Then you mentioned that they grow up instead. I'd love to see that!)

Like these, but mine weren't grown under glass and were much less splendid.

4EFBD90C-0B9E-4FCC-8E71-555F50934094_zpsvqoazolx.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE