Some leathercraft questions (Beltmaking mainly)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I bought a belt blank so I can make my own belt to wear whilst bushcrafting :)

Anyway, I bought a brass belt buckle and some brass eyelets because I like the idea of having the eyelets in the holes, but the eyelets don't make it all the way through the leather, and when I put the belt buckle through an eyelet it pulls on it fully and it falls out. Also I have realised even if they did go all the way though they rip open on the back and look hideous/will catch on everything! Just glad I practiced on scrap leather first ;). So how do you use eyelets, get the right sized eyelets and ones that don't turn ugly at the back? What can I use my cheap Am-Tech eyelet tool for now! I'm sure it'll have it's uses at some point in time.

Secondly, how on earth do you guys get your stitching to line up perfectly, I made a sheath for my girlfriends oboe knife and the stitches lined up better than when I made a sheath for my scalpel but I still need practice, just looking for a few tips.

Thirdly, this belt idea I have in my mind. I really hope to be able to etch/emboss something free-hand and am wondering how you even go about doing this? First I think I should just make a belt though and worry about making it look prettier than a plain and simple belt after....

Fourthly... but probably most importantly... How do you measure your belt to make it fit perfectly?

Finally, I was just going to neatsfoot the belt and that be my only finish. I guess that'll be fine?

Thanks,
Matt

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I've never seen a leather belt with eyelets & now I now why :D.....

As for measuring the length, just measure your waist + how long you would like wrap over to be...some people like it short while others prefer it long & dangly .:naughty:

Here's a belt I made from a blank....
2012_0605tracks0139.jpg

Getting stitching neatly aligned usually involves tools which I don't have so I just draw a line, mark the holes with a pen & ruler... then I use a small hammer & thick needle to make the stitch holes..needless to say, my efforts are from professional.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't use neatsfoot oil on any leather, I much prefer waxes but if you're wearing the belt outside of your clothing so that it will be taking the full brunt of the elements then there is an argument for using neatsfoot....

Good luck & well done for wanting to make something with your own hands.....

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey im nae sure about eyelets as iv never used them but for lining up stitches etc i run an edge groover along the edge of my project then set out my stitches with a 4 toothed stitching prong then widen the holes with an awl. job done nice and simple.

for carving/embossing youl need veg tan leather which most belt blanks are. draw out your design on some tracing paper. damp the leather with a sponge and wait for it tae return tae its original colour as its drying. tape your design over the leather and just trace over the design with a pen or anything with a rounded point. this shout leave a faint imprint in your project. then its just a case of deeping your lines. i use a swivel knife but im sure you could use any knife by just using the tip and pushing it along with your thumb on the spine. for embossing youl need some embossing stamps. i got a load of ebay.

dont quote me on anything as im just an amatuer who dabbles in leatherwork. when in doubt i turn tae the trust george hurst http://www.tandyleatherfactory.co.u.../Leathercraft-Videos/Leathercraft-Videos.aspx

hope thats of some help

Hamish

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Thank you guys for the very helpful tips :D Black timber wolf, I really like the buckle on your belt.

Anyway, Over the weekend I made my belt and here it is :D I am really pleased with how it turned out.
IMAG0235.jpgIMAG0236.jpg

Lastly, not the belt I made, but a good example of a belt I have with eyelets.... And a lot of the bloody things!!! Looking at them, they don't go all the way through either, but I have no idea how they would have set them since when I tried the eyelet gun on scrap leather it put a big ring around the eyelet and the eyelet was very loose. Then aain, the eyelet didn't go quite as far as these ones and the leather the belt I made is far thicker!
IMAG0230.jpg

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
nice job looks like a decent sturdy belt. im nae fussed about eyelets. thing i like about plain belts is cutting extra holes in with a knife. my belts must meet the criteria of all my other possession...gnarly and worn :D

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
nice job looks like a decent sturdy belt. im nae fussed about eyelets. thing i like about plain belts is cutting extra holes in with a knife. my belts must meet the criteria of all my other possession...gnarly and worn :D
And likely to fail and lower your trews tae the groond when ye dunnae need it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE