Some Help Required with net making!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapling

Sep 27, 2007
Glasgow
Hi all,

Some help, info or links, is required regarding tubular netting with a needle and gauge .
I can make flat nets fairly competently and can net tubular nets (for string bags etc) using the overhand knot method.
However Im having no luck with my experiments at trying to net with a needle to make tubes.
My searches on the web have not turned up much so hopefully someone here can help.

Any info / tips greatly appreciated!
Cheers

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I can make flat nets fairly competently and can net tubular nets (for string bags etc) using the overhand knot method.

I am interested in learning netting - at first to make net bags etc. Can you give some links for that, recommends books - or write a tutorial? I've searched in vain for something related to plain jane string bags - all I've found were crochet string bags.

Sorry I can't help with the original request - and for going off topic.

Michael

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The way I've made tubes in the past is to make a plain rectangular net, and then seam it to make it into a tube. Unfortunately, the page which taught me how to do it seems to have disappeared from the internet...

The bit I really haven't figured out is how to neatly close one end of a tubular net... Answers on a postcard please! ;)

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
I have just the site for all beginning or experienced netmakers
http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7
The "net making projects" section includes patterns for net bags.
The "net making tips and tricks" section shows 4 ways to finish the bottom of a net bag.
Check out all the netmaking section as well as the entire forum. Join the forum. Net makers and knotters and lurkers are most welcome. Tony

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Gregroach,the best and neatest way to close an end is to reduce the mesh count towards the end.To do this ,instead of picking up one mesh to form the next ,pick up two.This will reduce the diameter of the tube in a taper.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I can reduce the tube OK, I just can't figure out a nice way of finishing it. Looks like there may be some good options on the link provided by asemery, though - thanks! :)

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
Once you complete a tube you might consider ending the bag by one of these methods
http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/about468.html

rope.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE