Some Hebridean photos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
For no reason at all other than that it has been a cold and miserable weekend when I couldn't get out as much as I'd like I've been playing with some older photos taken on Lewis or Harris over the last few years. The selection was almost random, I have some worse photos and some better ones, it was just the first folder I opened each time. There is very little theme other than that I've, mostly, been fishing when I took the photos;

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
A wonderful landscape.
Love it.
And envious.
It seems strange when you notice there are no trees. You wonder where they have gone and how there could be none (I'm speaking rhetorically and allowing a bit of poetical whimsy - there's no need to write explaining where all the trees went). And yet the landscape is richer for that absence.
I'm a lover of the downland and heathland myself and can imagine no greater prize than having an idle day to wander through it all.
Great stuff.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
:mexwave:Thans so much for sharing! We are planning a trip to the Hebrides, and now I want to go immediately!

Clearly I know nothing at all about you or your intentions but if you are going to Lewis/Harris then really do make the effort to get away from the roads and tracks and get out onto the more remote bits of the moor. Clearly common sense and some ability to navigate are required but that comes with any wander no matter where you are. I would say 99% of visitors are never more than a few hundred yards from their car and there is so much to see that it is a waste to go all that way to sit by your car, you might as well got to a railway station car park :)

Here are a few suggestions for some Lewis walks, with plenty photos, and if these get anyone started heading away from the road then it is worthwhile:

http://www.7south.co.uk/Localwalks.html

Another point is that there are lots of interesting bryophytes on the moor right under your feet and they are well worth a look, I must do another post with bryophyte photos, it might sound crazy but they make great photos and are interesting things.

Davengf

Mar 2, 2016
Poole
Great Photos - Bought back some happy memories!

I visited the Outer Hebrides 6 years ago as a 1 off trip - loved it and have gone back 3 times since. :eek:

There was also a program by Robson Green about them last week - He wildcamped on the dunes near Losgaintir Harris - virtually same spot as me
More than a fair chance of doing it again this year if people keep tormenting me!! :rolleyes:

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Clearly I know nothing at all about you or your intentions but if you are going to Lewis/Harris then really do make the effort to get away from the roads and tracks and get out onto the more remote bits of the moor. Clearly common sense and some ability to navigate are required but that comes with any wander no matter where you are. I would say 99% of visitors are never more than a few hundred yards from their car and there is so much to see that it is a waste to go all that way to sit by your car, you might as well got to a railway station car park :)

Here are a few suggestions for some Lewis walks, with plenty photos, and if these get anyone started heading away from the road then it is worthwhile:

http://www.7south.co.uk/Localwalks.html

Another point is that there are lots of interesting bryophytes on the moor right under your feet and they are well worth a look, I must do another post with bryophyte photos, it might sound crazy but they make great photos and are interesting things.
Thanks! Will have a look at these walks. I am always in for a walk, my husband not so much, but anything not much longer than 5 miles is OK!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE