Solo overnighter in basha hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Headed to the woods itching to try out my improvised bridge hammock made from a british army basha and it did not dissapoint. I fashioned an underblanket from a snugpak travel blanket and I was set. Fire on and steaks in the pan led to a peaceful night.

I also tried out my hurricane lantern which is going to be a staple of my wildcamping kit unless i'm hiking miles

Last edited:

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Video has been removed.

Did the travel blanket work well? Have one and intended to try using it as an underblanket a while ago, but never got round to it. Thought it might have been a bit thin outside of summer.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
It only uploaded the first minute mate working on it now. under blanket done the job but wouldnt want to go much colder with it in the basha hammock. vid should be back up in 10

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Cheers Trig, I use that place to get my kids off their computers so a little comfort helps. Can't believe I never thought of doing that to a basha before, a groundweller would love it I even managed a side sleep

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Cor you've got bright trousers on. I've never tried a bridge hammock and that looks like a nice setup. I have a homemade gathered end which I could un-whip the ends of and may try and improvised bridge.

Reactions: nobby8126

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
goodjob it's good to see some experimentation and that you had a good night out, I can't help but think the Isle of White is so much more than I'd always thought from my visits and seeing it across the water!!

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Seriously great setup!!
Cheers,
Cor you've got bright trousers on. I've never tried a bridge hammock and that looks like a nice setup. I have a homemade gathered end which I could un-whip the ends of and may try and improvised bridge.
It'll work, the proper bridges have a tapered cut to lift the center stopping leg lift but as a makeshift hang it'll do the job. I'm a dedicated follower of fashion BTW.
goodjob it's good to see some experimentation and that you had a good night out, I can't help but think the Isle of White is so much more than I'd always thought from my visits and seeing it across the water!!
Tony the Island has a few hidden Gems you just have to search them out. I'm going to do an overnighter in the luccombe caves soon they are all full of carvings. Not prehistoric more like gurning ravers in the 90's but good all the same.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
duct-tape-hammock1.jpg

just seen this DIY bridge hammock in gaffa tape and though of this thread

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
the Isle of White

Tut tut!

Must be an Asda Newport shopper. :27:

30_B0403_E-4754-407_F-_BB2_B-_C9062_D46_AE2_F.jpg

Good looking trip out. The Feuerhand lanterns are lovely, they cast just enough mellow light and run for hours. I’ve even gone to put mine in the car next day to find it still hot and alight from when I turned it down at bedtime.

The Contigo coffee mugs are brilliant too. Inexpensive, keep hot, and don’t spill. What trousers did you get? I went a bit “Labourer Chic” with a pair of the Ridgeline bum and knee jobs, bloody brilliant for kneeling, sitting, and very comfortable to sleep in.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use the Bashas a lot for sleeping - one I use as a hammock (like yours but not hung so deep - I like to look out) and the other as a stretcher bed.
Both are sewn up one side and end, with paracord, to make a tube to take insulation pads and while the hammock is hung from poles as per a bridge hammock the Stretcher bed is threaded over two long poles that rest on sturdy tripods - fantastically comfortable!
12 MOD sheltersheet hammock finished hammock.JPG P4070008.JPG

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I use the Bashas a lot for sleeping - one I use as a hammock (like yours but not hung so deep - I like to look out) and the other as a stretcher bed.
Both are sewn up one side and end, with paracord, to make a tube to take insulation pads and while the hammock is hung from poles as per a bridge hammock the Stretcher bed is threaded over two long poles that rest on sturdy tripods - fantastically comfortable!
View attachment 50766 View attachment 50767

No one likes a show off lol. Great set ups John, did the hammock feel a tippy that tight only ask as I can fall off the ground. I have a spare basha so I might need to learn to sew, it's a proper versatile bit of kit.

Last edited:

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Tut tut!

Must be an Asda Newport shopper. :27:

30_B0403_E-4754-407_F-_BB2_B-_C9062_D46_AE2_F.jpg

Good looking trip out. The Feuerhand lanterns are lovely, they cast just enough mellow light and run for hours. I’ve even gone to put mine in the car next day to find it still hot and alight from when I turned it down at bedtime.

The Contigo coffee mugs are brilliant too. Inexpensive, keep hot, and don’t spill. What trousers did you get? I went a bit “Labourer Chic” with a pair of the Ridgeline bum and knee jobs, bloody brilliant for kneeling, sitting, and very comfortable to sleep in.

lidl work trousers Rich and those contigo mugs stay warm all day. Ronnie Sunshines are knocking out those lanterns for £6.99 not feuerhand but work well.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Good price on the lantern, there’s not a lot to go wrong with them. Human error is the most annoying, Turning the wick the the wrong way and losing it into the paraffin is annoying though, I’ve done that a few times. :aargh:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No one likes a show off lol. Great set ups John, did the hammock feel a tippy that tight only ask as I can fall off the ground. I have a spare basha so I might need to learn to sew, it's a proper versatile bit of kit.
I have been known to loosely guy it to prevent it swinging too far....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE