Soles of Boots have Rotted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had an old pair of Britorian boots that recently had the same thing happen - but I had not worn them for years as the uppers were splitting, just had them in reserve for garden work.
I just binned mine....

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Something like this will happen with all soles sooner or later. Usually beginning 5 years after having been manufactured.
The glue and the softener in rubber and PU-foam detoriate. UV-rays and fumes may hasten this.
It may happen on tour or with boots stored in the basement.
We have lots of customers coming into the shop for a re-sole. The luckier ones didnt experience this while out and in the middle of a tour several days long.
With a quality brand, and a construction based on an insole around which the upper is formed, a re-sole is nearly always an option.
1008_520002.jpg

1008_520009.jpg

Last edited:

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
Well I was that shocked to see how bad the Rot was,I took a picture of them.The Sole just rubbed off.
005.jpg

I do not want to annoy any members who read this thread,by over quoting this picture,but i must thank you for posting this picture.I gave a pair of pro boots to my niece about a month ago,after storing them for a few years.They looked great when i gave them to her,but she told me the soles literally vanished when she walked down the street in them.Her description of the soles,matches the picture you posted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE