Soldier 95 V Soldier 2000?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greasemonkey

Forager
Jun 7, 2008
Cumbernauld
Sounds like a bad B Movie, doesn't it?

I'm thinking about getting a jacket from a surplus shop, but I'm not sure which one to get. Obviously, the 2000 version should be better, but what is the difference?

Chinook220

Forager
Jan 7, 2010
Warwickshire
Get the Dpm issue windproof as issued to troops deploying to Iraq 2005 onwards (green version better for uk) :)

On evilbay search DPM Windproof it's the right one if it has a very small pocket on one of the arms, think it was for a combi tool but not sure.

Saw one for £18. Don't get CS95 smocks they are evil!!! They keep the cold/ water in and the collar will rub your neck and chin raw.

Just my 2p worth

Regards chinook

Don't get CS95 smocks they are evil!!! They keep the cold/ water in and the collar will rub your neck and chin

+1 on that - sound advice! 1995 was a year of procurement evil! The ripstop outer jacket is simply the most abominable thing ever conceived by man - don't ever buy one, and if you own one - pay someone to take it away! The 2000 smock - essentially an arctic smock with tabbed buttons is pretty good - I still wear mine for work - although I still wear my original arctic smock when hunting bunnies.

How waterproof is it?

To answer the question directly - slightly more waterproof than ventile - new ones have some sort of treatment that causes water to bead...but once it's soaked, or after you've washed it a few times then I would say they're water resistant rather than proofed - and this time less resistant than ventile, being a lighter fabric - if you have a wool layer underneath the jacket though, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Like I said - keep a wool layer underneath the jacket (when it's cold) and expect to stay dry. In warmer downpours - expect to be damp - but not uncomfortably so, and for me, they beat wandering around sounding like a crisp packet in the latest techno outer garment.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I used the CS95 jacket for years without problems.
I quite liked mine, I wore it every day out in all weathers without problems.
It was windproof, reasonably water resistant (I treated it with Nikwax cottonproof every so often) and had an amazing amount of storage in the pockets.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Get the Dpm issue windproof as issued to troops deploying to Iraq 2005 onwards (green version better for uk) :)

Be careful if seeking out a plain green smock- as these are not issue kit as far as i'm aware, and therefore likely to be chinese knock offs- some quality is ok, some not. The little pocket in the sleeve of the 2005 onwards smocks (with the wired hood and the zip up chest pockets) is for an avalanch transponder i believe. I'm not too up on these things, but the original cs95 jacket was ripstop, no hood, cs 2000 used the same outer jacket, but the lightweight trousers and shirt contained more man made fibre, and had a tighter weave, then early 2000's, the jacket became a polycotton material (not ripstop) with the same design. Around 2005, this polycotton jacket grew a hood (but the rest of the design remained unchanged), and the latest incarnation sports the addition of velcro patches on the sleeves for adding badges etc. It's a goood, robust jacket that keeps the weather out for a while and is comfy to wear.

Dec 16, 2007
I have heard that the little pocket is for the morphine coffin. This is so every one knows where the pain relief is if you get shot same as it is to carry your first field dressing in the left map pocket and not taped to your strap, helmet or rifle. In the heat of a contact you know where your first aid stuff is.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
latest stuff is far better than 95, however, the 94 patt smocks were very good, also the new windproof is excellent in the mk 1 or mk2 mesh lined model. however, you cant beat sas windproofs, good baggy cut, light weight, and very comfortable. i have 3. love them

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
latest stuff is far better than 95, however, the 94 patt smocks were very good, also the new windproof is excellent in the mk 1 or mk2 mesh lined model. however, you cant beat sas windproofs, good baggy cut, light weight, and very comfortable. i have 3. love them

Aaah, but how do you tell a genuine sas windproof? I have been thinking about getting something like this but its too easy for someone on tinterweb to describe any smock as sas....

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Aaah, but how do you tell a genuine sas windproof? I have been thinking about getting something like this but its too easy for someone on tinterweb to describe any smock as sas....
if it's new and they have more than one its a good bet its not pukka, a lot of the sellers on ebay pump out the repros in batches. genuine as follows..

they do not have zippered chest pockets, the velcro on the wrists is a small tab of material not a long strap of velcro as on the standard issue windproof.

if it say's 'wire removed' its an arctic smock, which, is no different apart from the hood shape, which is actually quite good, huge, but good.
the buttons are standard sewn on not canadian slots. the material is 100% cotton but is never stated on the item as such, so if the mix is given as anything else in description its not genuine, no mix is given on labels inside anyway. the label should be olive green either a plasticated version or a cloth type. nato stock number should be the right one, they can vary though by a couple of digits, i have a early 90's type, which has late eighties type camo, and chest pockets are stitched on level, and a mid nineties model which is a bit thicker, 95 patt camo print, and angled pockets, the numbers differ my the last digit only which i assume relates to the print or the pockets.

look for recognized military manufacturers if possible, one of mine is 'cookson and clegg' very good quality.

sizing has to be either 'size 1, size 2, size 3 etc etc' which is old money, generally the bigger the number the larger they are, or nato sizes which are either a long 10 or so digits with a a dash in between the first and second half, or a comb of old nato sizes and new, 170/96 or 190/120 or similar. sizeing saying s,m,l etc often indicates private purchase, eg, arktis, survival aids, white labels anyweher on the product mean non-genuine unless its the card label attached from stores.
elastic in the hem is not old windproof style, but current standard type.

pen/combi pouch on left arm since mid eighties, ffd pocket on back of right arm since early 90's. no ffd pocket means first generation current type smock from around the falklands era. mid 70's and before they were still using the ww2 style albeit in the modern dpm and full zip, mid 70's to late 80's using new style with bulgy pockets, cammo print shows green and yellow to have overlapping printing pattern which looks like an extra colour or border around the 2 colours when touching each other.

biggest give away though, the shoulders have no seam along them, the standard windproof is based on a combat jacket and has a seam along the shoulders. the SAS/Royal Marine windproof has a smooth shoulder and the arms have larger underarm cut, the lack of a seam on the shoulder has been in place since ww2 as the criteria of sf is to carry very heavy loads on their backs, the seem and epps are not present on the smock to reduce wear and chafing to the shoulders.

but generally they are very common on ebay once you know what you're looking for. here are acouple of links, i have no connection just show a range... oh and, the windproofs were not specifically issued to sf, the stocks were available if you could get them on issue, eg. marines being deployed to norway got the arctic windproof, or similar, the more dry cold windy stuff u did the more they were issued. so its a bit of a mis-info to consider it sf only.

original early RMarine arctic smocks have a rank tab front and back, the rear one phased out as they caught and rubbed on everything eg camo nets. SAS smocks 95% don't have any rank tabs, silvermans models do, as did survival aids, arktis and all the other private models, but MOD issued them without.

original, in average worn condition.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORIGINAL-SAS-...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item415b66ff1e
silvermans smock, rank tab on front.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-NEW-SAS-DPM...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2a0e035bac

below SAS smock listed as para smock. note large underarm gussets. SAS smocks available in 2000 camo also, so modern 'old style' are available.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/british-army-...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2a125eff1d
below genuine RM arctic smock. bulgy pockets, ffd on right arm, wire in hood unless removed. Rank tab on front.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/military-wind...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1c1d4eddf5

below is modern standard windproof, actually very good, and used by sf but is not old style sas smock, quick ID is the zip on the chest pocket, and pockets are envelope style not bulgy.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAS-Smock-/170666998811?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item27bc8bbc1b

below is same type as above but properly described
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WOODLAND-DPM-...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4cf87cb3bc

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
oh price wise, i paid £10 for my older one, was a bargain, i took a risk on it, its fab, my newer type which was brand new i paid £45 for it. i would say as a collector, if its a 70's early 80's issue its worth in good nick up to £90 at a push, later types are worth from average 'hammered' condition, remember, a lot of elite troops doing horrible stings in mud and dirt equals heavy wear, you should consider £10-25 a bargain. new upto £45-60. mdoern windproof which is very good, i bought a brand new one for £8 delievered. usually used ones are £15, new £25. if its mesh lined, its a mk 2 new type windproof, and very very good. £anything below £70 is a happy days.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Cheers rabbitsmacker. You certainly know your smocks.......
Trying to decide now between the current issue one and probably 90's...
well, everyones got a perversion about something i suppose! mines smocks! lol, just know when i was originally after one years ag i got stung and did some research and got the collecting bug, smocks and webbing lol.
my choice would always be the sas type due mainly to the lightweight soft feel material, and the cut, i just feel the modern one is a bit of a restrictive cut once you've worn the sas type. but i have to say the modern one is bombproof build quality and it will never let you down. hope your choice does well for you

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i took my early nineties smock up angle tarn in the lakes in march!

windytripmarch2011-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE