Solar ignition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 19, 2013
Southwestern USA
I know that you can use many different ways to make a fire. Like:
Bow drills
magnifier
flint and steel
matches ect

but I want to know if you can use the bottom of a glass bottle, like a magnifying glass. I am assuming you can, but I can't find a video or website that demonstrates this.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I've seen the bottom of a drinks can and some char cloth used to get an ember. Also a fresnel lens and a camera lens.

In fact, if its sunny this weekend, I'm going o give the drinks can a go, thanks for the inspiration.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I've seen a good vid somewhere, where a upside-down clear water bottle was used. The neck was rounded, so when it has water in it becomes a convex lens. I'll try and get a link.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Good isn't it. I've got a rear projection TV. But what do I need the most? A TV or 2000'c solar death ray? Hmm decisions.....

Last edited:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Chocolate didn't work, tooth paste wasn't much better. In the vein of a wild scenario, I think I will see if a bit of grit and mud to start the polishing. Fingers crossed the sun will come out again soon to have another play.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE