Solar chargers - any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
I've lived on a boat for eight years, while I'm currently on a mooring with mains I have spent most of my time depending on batteries that were either charged by diesel or my solar panels.

I've tried lots of things, and come to the conclusion that any solar device designed to charge a mobile phone is a toy. It would be possible to make your own that worked well, but it would cost a fortune and not be reliable enough to take along.

Your best bet is to take a mains charger and find people who'll charge your device en route, or carry a spare battery.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Ive been using a rechargable battery pack from amazon. Just charge it up before you go and it kept my phone and mp3 player charged for a week and had some left over. I do still keep contemplating on getting another solar charger but I think theyre a bit too slow for me, so think Ill stick with my battery pack, maybe if we lived in a sunnier country.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I've lived on a boat for eight years, while I'm currently on a mooring with mains I have spent most of my time depending on batteries that were either charged by diesel or my solar panels.

I've tried lots of things, and come to the conclusion that any solar device designed to charge a mobile phone is a toy. It would be possible to make your own that worked well, but it would cost a fortune and not be reliable enough to take along.

Your best bet is to take a mains charger and find people who'll charge your device en route, or carry a spare battery.

Agree 100%

Even here in very sunny Greece solar panels need to be huge to get any decent power output, add to that the high current draw most modern phones take and you really need to go big on the solar panel size to provide enough power to maintain the same battery level, never mind charge it.

No idea on the specs or how many watts it puts out, but it might be worth keeping and eye on this project.
http://www.biolitestove.com/CampStove.html

Alternatively if your base camping and weight and space is no issue then you could make a generator using a car alternator and a pushbike.
Most reasonably fit folks should be able to put up to around 150 watts out (max), unfortunately there is a LOT of inefficiency in the system but you should be able to put out 2 to 4 amps at the battery at reasonable levels exertion.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have the standard power monkey (not the solar) and can fully charge my blackberry twice. What you have to consider with solar chargers is the output they have. My BB has a 3.7v 1270 mAh where as the other smart phones that have built in batteries are a different output requiring different charge rates.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a free loader and I am not impressed with it, I also have a Silva solar charger which recharges standard AA NiMh batteries, now that works, (in the car as well) I suppose it is not beyond the wit of man to use the rechargeable NiMh batteries to give a boost to the phone when it needs it.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have one of these

57e2e962.jpg

I got it from DX. I use it all the time and it will charge just about anything with the supplied heads. 4000 mah built in battery and is vari voltage too. I was getting fed up of my iphone being constantly empty and this keeps me topped off with no problems for weekends away. also has a little led torch built in. The case is really solid. The solar panels are ok and in good weather it is possible to keep it at pretty much full charge

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/4200ma...ry-pack-for-cell-phones-and-usb-gadgets-40210

winst0nsmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2012
South West Wales
It will depend on the type of pV cells used. Monocrystaline will deliver loads of charge in bright sunlight but as soon as there is a hint of cloud, they aint worth anything. Polycrystaline deliver a smaller charge but will always produce something if there is light, even under a cloudy British winter sky. Monocrystaline are cheaper so guess what manufacturers tend to use? Obviously, correct positioning with regard to the sun is necessary for efficiency.

If you have a Lithium Ion battery, (as most modern phones do) then it will hold less charge generally but take small top ups without ruining it. This, combined with the higher demands of more processing power in smartphones is why modern phones don't last long. Older phones tend to have Nickle Cadium batteries or similar, these will hold more charge for longer but abuse them at your peril, they need to be fully decharged and then fully recharged, any small top up or fully charging from half way will ruin the battery and will need constant charging.

If you are in a remote area and there is no signal- switch off your phone. It will constantly be looking for signal which aint far behind making a call regarding battery demand and you will run out very quickly so when you do find that magic signal, you have no chrage left and it dies on you.

Spare phone batteries don't cost nor weigh much, thay also hold their charge for a very long time if wrapped in plastic (a few layers of cling film does well) or another good insulator (on the same note, don't store car batteries on concrete or the metal frame of a generator, they will decharge reasonably quickly, put them on a block of wood or another good insulator and they will last alot longer- ever noticed how those emergency car start devices are encased in thick plastic? This is the reason.)

I am regularly on the road for weeks at a time, I use an old Nokia (don't know the model) and two batteries which have been charged properly every time so still have lots of capacity, the phone gets switched off at night (if I remember, often it doesn't), my record is three and a half weeks before needing a charge but that was in a bad signal area so there was alot of down time for the phone. I have dabbled with wind-up chragers and all they did was wind me up, you need to get the speed just right and it would take hours to get a full charge off one; also, loose the right connector and you're up the creek proverbial.

There are plenty of expert outdoors folk who now rate a mobile phone as more important than a whistle in the woods/mountains. A small spare one in you kit would not even need to be registered nor have any credit on it to dial 112 or 999 as a back-up to your regular one that will probably run out, especially in a crisis. Then again, it still won't help you if there's no signal and you didn't tell anyone where you were going, your route and when you intended to be back; the oldies are the goodies.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Spare phone batteries don't cost nor weigh much, thay also hold their charge for a very long time if wrapped in plastic (a few layers of cling film does well.

I'll second that- spare batteries for most phones only cost a few quid on ebay, and are mostly Li-ion these days, so hold their charge well when not in use. They are small and light- probably much more so than a solar charger. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE