Soggy crisps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
I went for a stroll this morning along the river Severn near Ironbridge. The nice little pub called the Boat Inn was Currently submerged a bit.
20200218-131129.jpg

20200218-131049.jpg

20200218-131039.jpg

This particular pub has dates and lines on the door marking all the previous flood levels. It must be heart breaking to have this happen several times every year. I really feel for anybody suffering from flooding. Stay safe folks.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's a few hotels around windermere who have a flooding history but not as often as Severn areas. The hotels at opposite ends have been flooded badly over the last 10 years or so. Good insurance meant they got a complete refit the first time. Now I think they have defences built in. That's the way of things now I reckon.

Driving home last night I noticed a pile of driftwood collected in a corner at the end of the quay in Lancaster. Just inside the last flood gate. Some were big branches too. Without those flood walls and gates the houses and pubs would have flooded for sure.

Reactions: Janne and Coldfeet

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Flood gates in Lancaster were open in the morning but shut last night. They're currently upgrading flood protection along the river Lune upstream. They had to do something after a flood around a major electrical supply substation basically shutdown supply for iirc 10 days a few years back. First step they flood protected that substation. Now they're protecting the industrial estate it's part of.

Not flood related but we've experienced more power cuts over the last 5 years than the previous 15. I think first 15 years living where I do had one or two power cuts. Last 5 years we probably have more than that every year. We've got headtorches, plenty of spare batteries and candles around the house ready in case. Worst thing is there's a couple of streets in our town that when there's a power cut it it's always affected. Sometimes just those streets. Must be old or dodgy equipment somewhere. Unfortunately we live in those streets.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How's it going down there? Waters must have dropped a little I guess but there's less about it on the news.

Rain coming again so not over yet. Another named storm coming I think I read.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not flood related but we've experienced more power cuts over the last 5 years than the previous 15.

I found a cure for power cuts. For years we would get 2 or 3 a year and some would last over a day. So, I bought a generator so that we could at least have water (we're on a borehole) - we've never had a power cut since :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I went for a stroll this morning along the river Severn near Ironbridge. The nice little pub called the Boat Inn was Currently submerged a bit.
20200218-131129.jpg

20200218-131049.jpg

20200218-131039.jpg

This particular pub has dates and lines on the door marking all the previous flood levels. It must be heart breaking to have this happen several times every year. I really feel for anybody suffering from flooding. Stay safe folks.
I think they expect it at the boat, its all floodproofed i believe, tiled floors removable uppolstery. It gets flooded that often youd have to.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've not been down to our river but there are reports of it being inches from the top of the arches. Gone down a bit now. Pub down the road got flooded and we still have no buses. So there must be serious flooding elsewhere. Buses will be running tomorrow I'm told, but then if we get more rain over the weekend that could be scuppered again.
I do hope everyone is OK. And nobody has had a total disaster.
We've had a total of seven power cuts this week. But all seems to be ok now. Touch wood.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
When did they started naming storms? A bit naff to name weather .
Floodings are awful. Kills lots and lots of animals.
They only name storms that the Irish or British met office believes will be a threat to lives and property. It's something based on the American system. I guess if people get warnings about a storm with a name it gets across to people that it's a really bad storm to take care in.

Not really stupid if it gets through to someone who decides afterall it's not worth going out in it thus potentially saving a life. Bear in mind storm Ciara resulted in a wife and mother dying.

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Flood gates in Lancaster were open in the morning but shut last night. They're currently upgrading flood protection along the river Lune upstream. They had to do something after a flood around a major electrical supply substation basically shutdown supply for iirc 10 days a few years back. First step they flood protected that substation........
The unfortunate problem is that effective flood protection along a waterway means a heightened danger downstream (the levees and flood controls that keep the water within the stream’s banks means instead of spilling locally, it all gets shunted downstream)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Fortunately downstream it's morecambe bay. Plenty of space for the flow there.

Lancaster used to be heavily involved in a certain evil trade. One of the big UK ports involved. Inland there's supposedly farms used to "store the merchandise" so to speak. One farm near us found a skull when they renovated a room. It was a brick in the wall.

It's also not far from a place called Sambo's grave. Various versions of the story. I got told the one where a slave of a visiting master saw his masters ship sail without him so he followed it until the land ended at Sunderland point then laid down and died.

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
They only name storms that the Irish or British met office believes will be a threat to lives and property. It's something based on the American system. I guess if people get warnings about a storm with a name it gets across to people that it's a really bad storm to take care in.

Not really stupid if it gets through to someone who decides afterall it's not worth going out in it thus potentially saving a life. Bear in mind storm Ciara resulted in a wife and mother dying.

Before they started naming them, people knew that a storm was dangerous, and took appropriate action.
I do not believe people today need to be able to call a storm by a name to know the dangers. Or do they?

Sad when people die when they could have prevented it by maybe thinking and being more cautious.

Two guys died in Sweden while out in a boat. European media reported 7-10 deaths because of Ciara / Sabine.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I thought there was evidence from usa that naming dangerous storms has an advantage hence the not very British change to naming storms. We like to talk abou weather, then go out in it. Not name it.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
probably due to social media, for example if I said "a cat has been killed in Cornwall", you probably would take no notice, but if i said " a cat called Charlie has been killed in Cornwall", this would sound a bit more interesting, and no doubt many people would Google it, to find out how the cat called Charlie was killed.
Also giving it an unusual name helps.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
probably due to social media, for example if I said "a cat has been killed in Cornwall", you probably would take no notice, but if i said " a cat called Charlie has been killed in Cornwall", this would sound a bit more interesting, and no doubt many people would Google it, to find out how the cat called Charlie was killed.
Also giving it an unusual name helps.

Lol Lol Lol. Nice examples there fadcode, its about the only choice I can think of too.. Ive logged in just so i could reply. Anyway, I might buy a hat, or ride a bike tomorrow.

https://www.gardendad.co.uk/best-cat-scarer-reviews/

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Naming storms is quite useful.
It allows history to associate all the events with a storm with a unique name.
No BS, no speculation, no argument. Each damaging storm has one and only one name.
Exactly the same rationale for naming the latest deadly influenza outbreak.

We used to have a lot of power failures for no apparent reason.
Calm, warm, sunny summer day and BOP! off goes the electricity???????
How about 60+ in one day?
Much less now. Even a couple of Run-of-the-river hydro projects and a 5MW biodiesel gen set.

I have a solar system for back up. Not much but at least 500W for 8 hours to run my pellet stove in winter.
All the light and heating for cooking is no more than simple camping efforts.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Well, the storms do not have one name.
The latest one, some European countries called it Ciara, other European countries called it Sabine, but the North American’s called it Kade.

Influenza’s are called by the type of virus usually?
But for the latest one, I still do not understand why they changed naming them after beers. I assume the next one will be called Coors?

If they start naming them ‘human’ names, it will get interesting.
I assume they will use names from mainland China.
Flu Mao. Flu Ho. Flu Bruce.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE