Soggy crisps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The person that described/ diagnosed it first.

For flu that would also mean mainly Chinese names, as most flu viruses stem from China.

If a country want to lessen the impact of heavy rain, they need to keep up the dredging of regulated rivers and canals, not build any banks on natural rivers and let them overflow ( on flood plains) plus not build on flood plains.
Of course, a healthy nature without too many sealed surfaces is important.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Here we can get sea water flooding during bad hurricanes.
Grand Cayman virtually was under the sea level during Hurricane Ivan.
We now build our houses above that max level.
Garages are naturally below that.

I got a ‘flood plank’ system I still need to install.
I am a lazy optimist.

That beautiful old pub in post 1 should have a such system installed.
Plus a brass plaque on the outside that show the max level. A great conversation piece!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What a shame that the pub is flooded. That standing water inside will drop a 1/2" load of mud on absolutely everything.
Storm #2 on top of saturated landscape from storm #1? Couldn't be worse.

Do you see evidence that the flooding is pushing ground-dwelling wildlife around?

Here at 53N, the Fraser River has cut well down into the post-glacial flood plain.
Not much concern for flooding except near the water's edge.

Draining run-off in the village has been redesigned and greatly improved over the past few years.
I used to think that maybe I had invested in water front property.
Have not seen a drop of water downstairs in the last 20 years since I bought this place.

Reactions: santaman2000

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
We have had two continuous days of rain, most rivers just barely hold. But the other bane here has realized, the Baltic has decided to invade several coastal towns including Helsinki. It is wind driven seawater rise, can be quite significant, I have seen it up 2.2 m and down 1.5m. At the moment the highest seems to be up 1.35m.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We have had two continuous days of rain, most rivers just barely hold. But the other bane here has realized, the Baltic has decided to invade several coastal towns including Helsinki. It is wind driven seawater rise, can be quite significant, I have seen it up 2.2 m and down 1.5m. At the moment the highest seems to be up 1.35m.
We have a problem here as the rivers and streams empty into the bays. Many of the bays, although quite large, have relatively small passes into the open Gulf of Mexico so they sometimes back up onto the mainland side shores as well.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Lou Gehrig was a baseball player; not a doctor. He didn’t describe or diagnose Lou Gehrig’s Disease; he was diagnosed with it.
Just to name a few to you:
Crohn’s, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Tourette’s, Sjögren’s.

The majoritet are named after the dr that discovered it.

The combination strong wind, low pressare and high tide can be devastating not only for human habitats, but it increases the coastal erosion too.

Have you in UK noticed anything like that?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's all history. Just another case just now, of too little too late.
All the slants could do is have the police threaten Li Wenlaing back in 12/19.
Now, he's dead.

Lyme Disease is named for the town in Connecticut, USA. Big hummy deal.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Here we can get sea water flooding during bad hurricanes.
Grand Cayman virtually was under the sea level during Hurricane Ivan.
We now build our houses above that max level.
Garages are naturally below that.

I got a ‘flood plank’ system I still need to install.
I am a lazy optimist.

That beautiful old pub in post 1 should have a such system installed.
Plus a brass plaque on the outside that show the max level. A great conversation piece!
there is a line and date on the front door of every flood , it brings the history to life when you are standing looking at flood levels to the top of the door.

Reactions: Janne

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
So the Baltic has started to slosh back to its proper level still about 70cm high in many places.

Another snippet of information, while the Dutch have their ground going down, ours is going up, on the Gulf of Bothnia a maximum of about 10 mm a year. We used to have a cottage there, during my memory the coast line had receded about 30m.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Just shows the old Gods are still ruling. They are pushing up the Holy FennoScandinavian lands up so the future sea level rise will not affect them!
:)

I assume we are of a similar age, as my childhood areas also have changed. Lakes are somewhat different, coastal river exits too. A few centimeters can make a huge difference!

I assume that the sea level also went up on the east coast of UK?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE