Socks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Treated meself to a new pair of boots today,a pair of Meindle Borneo pro MFS(never spent this much on boots before) from Spike Outdoor equipment in Shrewsbury,first rate service from a knowlegable bloke,cannot recomend them strongly enough.Anyway got me thinking about socks,basic things i guess socks,like pants basic and i guess i am like most i dont really give them much thought but i guess that too is a mistake.Anyway what kind of socks do you folks prefer,i am after some good quality socks and not too thick!

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
stotRE said:
Thick pair over a thin pair.(best way to avoid blisters)

After ten years of blister free army life i can highly recommend it.(cotton inners,100% wool outers)

Amazing,only ever worn one pair of decent wool socks, no probs with blisters ;)

Always wash my socks inside out, read it years ago :p

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have done a 50 mile walk 5 times before in one day, though I have only made the distance twice. My point is, the socks I wore were bridgedale coolmax liners with bridgedale gtx trekking socks over. They keep your feet warm, but not too warm and at the end of the walk, both times I made it, I only had tiny blisters and my feet were ok, though sore as you can imagine. I highly recommend these socks. Also thorlo make good socks, but as already mentioned, wear liners to help illiminate blisters and improve sweat transportation. If on the other hand you want socks for standing around in, then get woollen.................Jon

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I have always worn the standard Army issue socks,(maybe known as Commando socks from place like Millets) with cushioned sole and heel. I have never, ever, had a single blister in all my walking life.

I think a liner is a good idea if you're going to cold climes though.

I think a lot of it has to do with the quality and fit of your boots.

If they are slightly too big or small, then blisters may appear.

Just experiment with one or two pairs. You need to have a decent amount of wool to avoid sweaty feet.

I saw in Millets, some socks called 1000 mile socks, which look ok, but I've never used them. They are double layered.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Jon Pickett said:
the socks I wore were bridgedale coolmax liners with bridgedale gtx trekking socks over. .................Jon

:) Snap! :)

Yep use the same socks myself.

As said the liners help stop blisters as, being made from fabric with good wicking properties, they help transport the moisture away from the feet, and wet skin and friction is just crying out to develope blisters.

P.S Jon...50 miles in one day is just silly :p :p :p

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks folks,i normally take a size ten boot but i found that a ten were slightly too small so i tried a size ten and a half which was better.My right foot has a lot of scar tissue on its side after a bad break and other repeated injurys when i was young and stupid so that is why a size ten was a bit too small.I guess its best to mess about with different socks both one and two sock methods till i find the right one for me.I may tru different insole too as the bloke in thee shop told me.

Jjv110 said:
I have always worn the standard Army issue socks,(maybe known as Commando socks from place like Millets) with cushioned sole and heel. I have never, ever, had a single blister in all my walking life.

I think a liner is a good idea if you're going to cold climes though.

I think a lot of it has to do with the quality and fit of your boots.

If they are slightly too big or small, then blisters may appear.

Just experiment with one or two pairs. You need to have a decent amount of wool to avoid sweaty feet.

I saw in Millets, some socks called 1000 mile socks, which look ok, but I've never used them. They are double layered.
I've used the 1000 mile socks before, they are basically two pairs of socks put together and they are superb. BUT only in the absolute depths of winter!!! I found them incredibly warm, so much so that on one unforgettable winter night ride on my motorbike, I had a pair on under motocross boots. Bearing in mind I wasn't moving around much, while there was quite literally ice forming on my crash helmet, jacket, gloves and trousers my feet were the only part of me that was actually warm. Now imagine adding excercise into that equation!! It has to be said, I am a warm person, but spring summer and autumn, I found the sock made my feet feel like they were on fire

CLEM said:
Thanks folks,i normally take a size ten boot but i found that a ten were slightly too small so i tried a size ten and a half which was better.My right foot has a lot of scar tissue on its side after a bad break and other repeated injurys when i was young and stupid so that is why a size ten was a bit too small.I guess its best to mess about with different socks both one and two sock methods till i find the right one for me.I may tru different insole too as the bloke in thee shop told me.
If you have problems with innersoles being comfy due to the scar tissue, one place that can custom fit inner soles is Cotswold Outdoors. Check out the htread on inner soles

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Motorbike Man said:
If you have problems with innersoles being comfy due to the scar tissue, one place that can custom fit inner soles is Cotswold Outdoors. Check out the htread on inner soles
Thanks for that,will remember check them out if i need too :beerchug:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Another vote for the Coolmax/Bridgedale combo.
Keep your high street specials for work then change into the good pairs to rejuvinate the "old plates" when the weekend comes or you pop out into the sticks for the evening.

Ogri the trog

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I've also done lots of the Bridgdale liner/thick socks combo, but I've also recently tried and really liked the Smartwool socks (both with and without the liner) - they seem to keep my feet at a nice temperature and they're comfy too.

I seem to remember getting a blister once, but that was years ago when wearing thin socks and brand new boots - I was young and foolish then :)

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Good wool socks med to heavy weight, I usualy wear the socks when I buy new boots so I get a good idea about the fit. Then walk the boots in slowly till they feel good, change socks at least twice a day and wash at the next break or at night. Feet care first then eat (wash hands :lmao: ) CG :yo:

paul.e

Oct 25, 2005
hythe kent
yep, i'm a army issue wool sock fan as well.another little trick i learnt when breaking new boots is a couple of wraps of zinc oxide tape around the heels to prevent rubbing, just until you get them nice and soft and get the lacing right.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi,

I use the Bridgedale coolmax liner with a pair of Smartwool socks over the top, no problems so far with quite a few miles done.

Brian

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
I use a Smart wool treking sock with brasher BTS liner great combo, used them for a couple of years, a fair few miles covered & never a blister. A little pricey but in mho, worth every penny.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Another vote for the thin inner socks with thicker outers.
I'm using silk inners just now, but if anyone knows where I can get size 3 or 4 knitted linen ones please let me know; my last pair finally died and I miss them. I've been using wool rich, loop pile inside, outer socks and they've been excellent. I bought four pairs in Black's, for about £7 each, six or seven years ago and they're still going strong. They don't owe me anything :) They weren't a *brand* name or anything special, just good quality with properly made heels and toes.

I blister incredibly easily and zinc oxide tape just makes my skin break out in a watery rash :( I think the comments about looking after your feet are v. wise. Deal with irritations and rubbing *before* they become problems; animal wool is good as are the 'moleskin' patches, and the newer breed of blister plasters are truly wonderful things :D

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE