So you think you are hardcore?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have just had the pleasure of meeting the roughest, toughest bunch of outdoor folk I have ever come across.

The weather today is -3degrees C with winds of 12 to 15 knots from the north-east, gusts to 20 kts giving a wind chill factor of -9 degrees, with intermittent light snow flurries.

The group - a mother and toddler group, four mums and five toddlers (16 months to four years old) - they just spent the morning around my camp-fire and had jaunts off into the woods to make bark rubbings of the trees. They cooked soup, toasted crumpets and generally left me with a feeling of disbelief that theys turned up at all. Best bit is - they want to do it again mext month!

They're a hardy bunch those Mums & Toddlers!

ATB

Ogri the trog

yep funny bunch just left my local Mother and toddler group after 4 yrs as Roan (2) is now at school that morning

funny enough i started a coffee morning with some (Rowans age group) and am the only one who actually bakes the cake for it not buy in tescos ;)

BTW its parent and Toddler group ...wouldnt want to be sexist would you ;) :lmao:

ATB

Duncan

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
there are a couple of nursery schools in Glasgow that are based on the Scandinavian model where the kids learn in the environment. One is based in Polock Park, its great to see the kids in their outdoor gear makin' dens and collecting berries.
jon

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
ha ha as hardcore as they are...i dont think any group of people are more hardcore than the Lineys when in Norway. Taxxing jets in their pants for kicks!!..although they probably whinge twice as much as anyone else!!

On a more serious note, its great to see mums getting toddlers outdoors!!

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Great stuff, that's what it's all about. Did a whole term with a 12 strong (not counting a few parents) pre-school group last year & they ran us ragged lol. Made wooden hobby horses with them one week - it was like the Alamo!

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
There is an amazing amount of hardy mums and kids out there

I asked my little girl what she wanted to do for her birthday- she said play in the Park. It was the 4th of this month and the ice and snow was still lying. It was bitterly cold in the wind. But we did have a Party in the Park :). Cake and Hot Chocolate and the kids had a blast.

I was really surpirsed at some of the folk that turned up, I hadnt expected so many to come!!

I think more people would go out if they knew where to go and that they wouldnt be on their own.

Cheers
Ness :)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I'm so happy to hear this, we are so lucky to have a forest right on our doorstep here, but it seems that the only people that use it are tourists and old folk walking their dogs. It would be nice to see a bunch of kids and parents up in there, but they'd rather go to bloody costas :(

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
lol i was camping on the weekend with my 8 year old we go alot in the winter but i havent a chance in the world on geting the missus out,little vid clip on you tube just type ,gowersponger,should come up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE