So what is Bushcraft Anyway??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
I am writing a University Degree Essay about Bushcraft (I do Outdoor Education), and I'm having trouble summing up what bushcraft actually is in a couple of sentences.

Could any of you literary scholars out there offer me suggestions? How would you define it in a few words?

Please keep it short, try not to just list subjects, eg.........tracking, fire, etc.

Cheers,

Stevo

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
I've always thought of it as:

'being the craft of moving through the landscape without significantly impacting on it'

you could substitute 'land' or 'world' for landscape I suppose. I'm sure there are plenty of other definitions out there

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
bushcraft = The ability to move through a ecosystem and make use of the natural resources there to live, thrive and survive whilst at the same time being in harmony with that environment by not upsetting the natural balance.

I Think ?

James

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Bushcraft goes well beyond the simple skills required to live in the woods. It can instill and incorporates spirituality, awareness, understanding, compassion and a deep need to protect what Nature has given to us.

After all, unless we personally experience bushcraft and all of it's facets, unless we can explain how it smells, looks, sounds, tastes and feels, how could we even come close to explaining what it is.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
'Bushcraft' (aka 'earth skills' or 'primitive technology') describes the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to live comfortably and sustainably outdoors with minimal or no kit.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Bushcraft is the art of nature surviving man :)

Or to be more helpful...

Bushcraft is maximum return with minimum impact on nature :cool:

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
The dictionary defines it as

"bushcraft -
noun - skill at living in the bush"

I think it would be impossible to define it truly in a few sentences as it means many different things to many different people.

You should just write what you feel it is about to you that is the only way or else the defination would take up the whole of your essay.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
To me bushcraft means living comfortable in situations that less skilled/mentally prepared people would be barely surviving. Either emotionally or practicably, or spiritually bushcraft is all in the mind.

Take a hundred people in to the woods and 70% will have a miserable time 25% will just survive and 3% will give up curl into a ball and wait to die. The last 2 percent will enjoy their time; at the end they will either come out with a wild made ditty bag stuffed with hand made goodies. Or they would have spent their time teaching others the necessary skills needed to go "beyond" survival.

All the stats are made up.

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
Lone-Bushcrfter said:
Mate isn't this plagerism?

Not if you are just gaining suggestions to form your own opinions. If I wanted to use a direct quote from one of you guys, I would obviously ask your permission, and then cite the reference in my text!

thanks for all the suggestions some good ones.... keep them coming!

stevo

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Bushcraft

Physical: Is a means of living within a natural environment, using method both traditional and modern. It is a way of life that is ecologically sound, both to them environment and its inhabitants.

Mental: A pool of knowledge that enables confidence and an understanding of your surroundings. Knowing where and what to do, and with which piece of the environment and its inhabitants.

Emotional: Bushcraft is a sense of one with nature, a link or connection that brings inner peace at a time when most would panic without the, physical and emotional experience of 'Bushcraft'.

If this sounds complete tosh, I hold my hands up, yes I'm a newbie.

Steve

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Bushcraft is a word that like love encompasses many emotions.

But ultimately bushcraft is understanding, respecting and and being at one with your surroundings. Whilst using it to to aid our own comfort whilst bettering our own knowledge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE