So simgle is it DIY tripod cook stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I was bought a copy of 'the boy mechanic: 200 Classic this to build' at the weekend which is a collection of builds from the popular mechanics magazine from the early 1900's.

It is a very entertaining read and I found this incredibly simple tripod made from just 3 strap hinges, an M5 countersunk machine screw and a wing nut.

You will have to imagine the fire :D

Tripod1.jpg

Tripod2.jpg

Tripod3.jpg

By the way that is a 10 1/2" pan full of water and it hardly flexes.

Not bad for a design about 100 years ago don't you think?

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Very cool and very simple , I wouldn't mind getting that book myself does it have a number isbn or something ?

Here you go Singeblister:

ISBN-13: 978-1-58816-509-1
ISBN-10: 1-58816-509-4

Or if you are Warrington way they sell it at Hawkin's Bazaar.

It is about paperback size with a semi hard cover and is 272 pages and then have kept the orginal writing style.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
:rolleyes: Hmmm, with a bit of chain you could sling a fire bowl underneath that and have a setup that could be used in areas where you can't have fires on the ground.
:rolleyes:
In fact, if you used a bit more chain you could tie the legs together at the bottom so that the whole thing would be stable on a surface that you can't sink the legs into (ie rock, rather than soil).

You may well have struck on a top design there my friend!! :)

Chris

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
:rolleyes: Hmmm, with a bit of chain you could sling a fire bowl underneath that and have a setup that could be used in areas where you can't have fires on the ground.
In fact, if you used a bit more chain you could tie the legs together at the bottom so that the whole thing would be stable on a surface that you can't sink the legs into (ie rock, rather than soil).

You may well have struck on a top design there my friend!! :)

Chris

I was thinking of some rods or quite long mechanical screws through the leg holes to support a fire bowl.

This is a really good book for outdoors projects which include:

Tents,
Beds,
Hammock Tents,
Lantens,
Birch Bark Leggings,
Rafts,
Folding Boat,
etc.
etc.
Over 30 in all I would say.

But then it is off the time all that helth and efficiency movents and no DVD's, PS3 and Wii's. (Well no Wii's could be today ;) )

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Spikey - I bought 2 books from them recently (no other links/connections) and the levels of service was fab.

Chris

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Made one - brilliant, simple effective and cheap! £4 the lot - works like a charm - thanks for putting this in front of us!

biscuittinbillyandhingetrivet.jpg

:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE