So... Hot Sauce.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Guy's.

I was just wondering what your preferd hot sauce is when out and about, at the moment I am torn between Cholula and the old classic tobasco. I know not every one keeps a bottle in the camp kitchen but it would be interesting to see what others do or even more interesting how many more make there own.

Chris.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Home made chilli sauce - commercial stuff defies the laws of physics in that it sucks and blows at the same time!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This one is a great base

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45519

Make it with Fresno chillis and its a sweet dip, make it with tabasco and its pleasantly tangy, make it with scotch bonnets and it will burn your mouth, use Nagas and it will melt steel!

We have come now to using raw muscavado sugar in it. Very dark and thick, hot, spicy and delicious!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I take a wee bottle of chilli oil. I like taste in my chilli not just roasting hot burnt mouth and gullet.
Fairly easy to make your own to suitable strength.

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats the joy of making your own.....we do several according to mood. My wife has an asbestos gob and has a ridiculous love of chilli....I'm more in the "flavour" camp.

Weirdly I find adjusting the amount of root ginger has a lot to do with heat too. I make a ginger cordial and too much can be eye watering.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Chilli an ginger do go well together, a Chef friend of mine was telling me they work in the same way (some form of pain response? but I am sure I am wrong on that in some way) I'll ask him for more info if your interested.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Something endorphin related?

They do work though....add in some garlic, some tomatoes and something salty and you can turn most things into a meal :)

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
A little jar of Sambal Oelek: raw minced chillis (maybe with a little salt and lime juice).

It's convenient for dosing, in that you use it by the teaspoonful, it's not a sauce that will turn your food from delicious to inedible because of one drop too much.

It's also great for the first aid kit: I put two teaspoonfuls of sambal oelek, juice of a lemon, tot of whisky and topped up with hot water. I take gulps of it that I hold in the back of my mouth and throat for a few seconds to clean me out when I have a cold or sore throat.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
A chef friend of mine makes a sherry pepper sauce. It's the only practical use I've yet found for British sherry!

Buy a bottle of VP or whatever British, cheap, sherry is popular locally. Empty the contents into a jug. Stuff the empty bottle with chopped habanero chillies, my choice, or whatever chilies you prefer, and pour the sherry back into the bottle. There will obviously be sherry left over, but, as the chilies break down, just continue to top up the bottle. Shake frequently, and when all the sherry is back in the bottle you have sherry pepper sauce.

You might need to employ a tea strainer if you're making bloody mary's, but for culinary use, just add sparingly, seeds, bits and all.

It gets better with age!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE