So, gaiters. Who likes 'em and who doesn't?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I like mine, I use the longer type for wet manky weather and a short canvas pair to keep the mud off my socks and grit/grass seed out of my boots.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I first got a pair of UK made (trailwise) ones decades ago and they made my trousers wetter than if I had walked without them. They got stuffed away somewhere never to be used again. Then I got a pair of event ones by Rab and the quality was rubbish as the tethered elastic stripped and since they are tethered (stitched in) they are a bugger to replace. Plus they fell down ALL the time. Annoying to say the least. Now I never use them, don't see I am losing anything by not using gaiters as I have never had any issue with what people claim to be a benefit to them. I wear fell shoes a lot in the hills so gaiters make no sense since you expect to get wet feet and so I often wear sealskins in winter and just live with wet feet in warmer conditions. Don't see any issue with that but each to their own I guess.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I've got a pair of old Wynster gaiters that I wear a lot. They're pretty heavy PU coated nylon with a zip up the back, they stand up on their own so ventilation's not really a problem but they are often wet on the inside where they fit tight to the top of the boot. I think that when I come to replace them I'll probably make some from waxed canvas.

Much under-rated piece of kit in my opinion, more important for me than waterproof trousers.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I wear them most of the year, the woods here are always wet except for the very peak of Summer (a vague memory), and I can't stand wellies or waterproof trousers. They're old Karrimor ones and vent well enough, and keep me from looking too much like a tramp on long stays out.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I like 'em. They keep your socks and trousers clean. If you do step in a bog hole or river, and you move quickly, they can slow the water up enough to keep your feet dry. The one bother is the way they tend to smear the muck upwards as you walk, so you sometimes end up with mucky thighs. Because of this (and the noise) I sometimes find myself walking in a weird cowboy way to avoid them rubbing off each other. But I don't mind!

Mine are a cheapie old pair - maybe Wynster, not sure. Stiff enough to stand up, so you can leave them a little loose for venting.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I have er, ahem...:eek: ventile ones and a pair of canvas trailwise ones.
Find both to be very well suited for my needs and in my case better than any 'tex types i've had.;)

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
i have a pair and use them on long walks. Unfortunatly they are a bit of a task to get on so i just use them when i feel they are necessary. I suppose they may help keep ticks from climbing up inside my trousers in the warmer months though.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I have a pair of gortex yeti's that permanently stay on a pair if boots - yes, they really are that much of a pain to fit!

They are great :) i wore them for three days in Scotland last year, crossing streams, muddy tracks and bashing through heather etc. My feet were dry throughout (apart from the usual sweat) while everyone else was having to use powders or hang socks out to dry in the evenings. They also helped keep the ticks out too :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another wearer here, either full length or short ankle if I'm wearing light trail shoes. Tried the Trailwise but didn't get on with them, same with the Fjallravens, finally found some OR Crocs which I really like.

I use a pair of old karrimor breathable full length gaiters, they fasten up the front with a wide Velcro strip and take about 30 seconds to fit or remove. I only wear waterproof trousers in heavy rain as I find them quite a hinderence.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
As with others, I don,t like waterproof trousers, so this winter have been wearing surplus canvas ones,
which are fine, once I had removed the under boot strap thingeys.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I only wear Yeti gaiters in snow with my winter mountaineering boots otherwise I dont wear them, but have often thought about making an elasticated cuff just to fit over the ankle just to keep debris out, but havent made them yet.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I used to hate them but eventually saw the sense in them. I shopped around trying on different ones and for my budget, I ended up with Rab Hispar gaiters.

Every shop I went into recommended the Trekmates ones, Cairngorm GTX etc, A friend of mine had been using them for years and hated how the goretex cracks on the elastic part and advised against buying 'em !

Rab won my pennies !

http://theoutdoorgearshop.co.uk/acatalog/Hispar_Gaiter.html?gclid=CLe5nbXVsbYCFXTMtAod8VMARQ

Last edited:

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I use puttees. Just kidding. Remember them? I had to wear them with ankle boots for parade as an army cadet. Terrible things.

So, I use a Goretex pair which have velcro on the front which acts as a stiffener. They support themselves. My only concern is to wear my trousers inside or out. I can see the benefits of both. Trousers inside seems more comfortable but isn't there a chance of water running down the trousers inside the gaiter onto your boots. I know the boots should be waterproof but after a while water could seep through perhaps.

Maybe a solution is to wear them on the outside of your trousers (or if you want to wear shorts and look a bit like Batman) you could just wear them with shorts, but when the rain kicks in have a loose fitting pair of waterproof trousers ready to whip on. What do you think?

Last edited:

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Gaiters are to be worn outside the trousers. So far haven't experienced water running inside my trousers and/or boots. Unless you're about to come across a river stream with water level above your knees.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I don't usually bother with gaiters anymore unless I'm constantly bashing through wet heather or doing plenty of stream crossings.

My fave Klattermusen trews and Keela Munro salopettes have built in gaiters which remove the need for a pair

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE