So can we go camping ? Scotland.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
Finding all this route out plan confusing, I get that as of next Thursday we can start fishing as long as its within 5 miles of home, so does that mean I can camp too ?

Thanks
Scott

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I'll be watching this closely for this reason too, as I am bursting to get out a bit of wildcamping also. I reckon it's going to be a grey area at first as it was down in England, until the authorities started issuing fines to people who were out wildcamping in the Lake District and Peak District last week who assumed that they could do so....they found out the answer the hard way!

Moral of the story......don't get caught

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Thanks Allan, its just all a bit grey, so I can go fishing all night but cant camp.
All within 5 miles of course.
Yeah I know what you mean Scott, I'm a fisherman too and I'm hoping to combine both hobbies, but I won't wildcamp of course until I can find a definitive answer. It's just not worth the hassle of getting caught and fined.

I will post on here if I find anything out.

All the best,

Allan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The wording for Phase 1 could be taken to mean that yes if it's recreational and you walk, wheel or cycle and it's within 5 miles of your home.....and you don't meet with other folks and you keep social distance if you do.
So no trains, buses or ferries, and I suspect that if the relevant authorities have closed national parks, etc., you could get into bother if you used them.
that lot is from Page 21, fishing is okayed on Page 22.

Page 21....
Seeing family and friends: we are planning in this phase to change regulations to permit people to use public outdoor spaces for recreational purposes, for example to sit in a public space.
We are also planning for one household to meet up with another household outdoors, in small numbers, including in gardens, but with physical distancing required.
We expect no public gatherings except for meetings of two households and only outdoors and with physical distancing.
Getting around: Consistent with the reopening of workplaces set out in this phase, where home working is not possible, businesses and organisations are encouraged to manage travel demand through staggered start times and exible working patterns.
You will also be permitted to travel short distances for outdoor leisure and exercise but advice to stay within a short distance of your local community and travel by walk, wheel and cycle where possible.
International border health measures are set to be introduced.

Page 22....

Sport, culture and leisure activities: In this phase we are planning to allow unrestricted outdoors exercise adhering to distancing measures and non-contact outdoor activities in the local area – such as golf, hiking, canoeing, outdoor swimming, angling – consistent with the wider rules and guidance applicable to any activity in this phase.

It's still all under the avoidance of social contact outwith the folks you live with, and a great deal of care if you have to work, travel or shop beside other folks.

Page 42 says that it's unrestricted in Phase 1 ...
"Consistent with the rules and guidance that are applicable to any activity in this phase:
Unrestricted outdoors exercise adhering to distancing measures.
Non-contact, outdoor activities in your local areas e.g. golf, hiking, canoeing, outdoor swimming, angling."

Having said all that, I reckon if the police decide you're chancing it by setting up camp you might find it awkward.
You might ask them beforehand, but that might be an own goal :dunno:

If either of you find out it'd be a kindness to let the rest of us know :cool:

M

Last edited:

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Thanks for uploading the link for that Mary, just had a quick scan through it, will have a thorough read later.

Seems that it's looking good for a hike up Tinto next weekend weather permitting. Still not sure about an overnight wildcamp though, as I would need to drive to my favourite haunts (Galloway forest park) so strictly speaking isn't local to me, therefore I'd be breaking the rules

Either that or i'll need to find a wildcamping site within walking distance of East Kilbride!! Time to get the map and Google Earth out I think

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If we lived within five miles from Tinto, Himself would be up there every day :) We can see it from the end of the street on even a half clear day. I think we're nearer 10 as the crow flies.

M

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Aye good point, Tinto is even too far away from me too I'd need to drive to that.

We'd be about 10 miles or so from it too.

A hike down Calderglen again it is then!

Reactions: Toddy

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
As long as you're not allowed to travel to and stay the night in a second home, I assume that's a no for camping too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thing is though that the carp fishermen often sit for hour upon hour, so their set up is often a mini campsite, just to sit/while the time when 'fishing'.

Reactions: scottpix

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
Tinto would be nice, never camped it before , but have fished resovoirs there, tips on where to head welcome, maybe better for another thread.
Thanks for input peeps.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Thing is though that the carp fishermen often sit for hour upon hour, so their set up is often a mini campsite, just to sit/while the time when 'fishing'.
When they eased part of the lockdown in England last week but didn't permit wild camping, overnight fishing was allowed though. Good if you're a carp or pike fisherman, can't really see why they won't allow wildcamping, which is the ultimate in self isolation.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
At the Thursday briefing Nicola spefically used an example of travelling from Edinburgh ( I think) to see parents in Inverness saying that wasn’t ok as you couldn’t reasonably do the journey and see them in a day, plus you have to stay local.

last Saturday we observed a couple camping in a tent just outside Ullapool by the roads. The plates And sticker were from NL! Heaven knows what was going on there.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
At the Thursday briefing Nicola spefically used an example of travelling from Edinburgh ( I think) to see parents in Inverness saying that wasn’t ok as you couldn’t reasonably do the journey and see them in a day, plus you have to stay local.

last Saturday we observed a couple camping in a tent just outside Ullapool by the roads. The plates And sticker were from NL! Heaven knows what was going on there.
Could be at the university or something. We have lots of staff who keep their EU reg cars and just go back for the MOT or whatever their respective countries' rules specify.

Reactions: santaman2000

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms

I heard there was some folks that drove up from England to their holiday home in the village last week :banghead:
The rozzers arrived and told them they had to go home goodjob

Reactions: DocG and richy3333

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
@Dogoak if that was Ullapool, then no wonder we’ve had Covid outbreaks there.

A friend looks after a holiday home. The owners asked her opinion on coming up to their holiday house. She was told blank that if they came they’d not be served in the local shops or helped by locals.

Reactions: DocG

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
@Dogoak if that was Ullapool, then no wonder we’ve had Covid outbreaks there.

No, Nethybridge

A friend looks after a holiday home. The owners asked her opinion on coming up to their holiday house. She was told blank that if they came they’d not be served in the local shops or helped by locals.

There was some who turned up here just before Easter, I'll just say that it didn't go down well with the residents!

I think what annoys me most is that people don't think about the possible subsequent consequences of their actions. I could easily pop out from my place and disappear for a few nights out in the forest or mountains, no one would see me, have I? I've been tempted but no I haven't.
If the preverbial hit the fan and I needed help that would force the services and teams into coming into close proximity, that wouldn't be fair with the current situation.

I don't know if the numbers have changed but before this virus hit Raigmore Hospital in Inverness only had 7 ICU beds, the maximum being 8! Raigmore, the most northerly critical care unit, covers a huge area, we definitely don't need any extra load on the health service up here.

Reactions: richy3333

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE