Snugpak special forces combo sleeping bag - any good

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Hi all

Im contemplating buying one of these http://www.supertent.co.uk/images/31_09_sfcombosystem.jpg for a trip to norway next january i like the idea of joining two bags together or using them seperately, i also REALLY like the centre seam burst out zip, particularly as Ill be in a Lavvu with a fire (I hate side zip bags) I prefer my army green maggot but theyre heavy to carry.

Does anybody have one or experience of one good or bad. Id appreciate some experienced knowledge before shelling out £150+

Cheers
Nick

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Hi Nick

I have the SF2 on its own, so i cant tell you about the combo and how they work together. I bought it because i really like the central zip bags, i've got a very lightweight summer central zip bag and a Woodlore golden eagle, (which is very bulky) so i bought the snugpak bag to hopefully fit in somewhere in the middle.

I started out liking it, i slept in it for five nights consecutively and the stitching holding the hood drawstring came undone so i couldn't do the hood up. Any way contacted snugpak, sent it to the returns/repairs dept, and got it back within a few days all repaired etc, that tainted my view a little.

It seems fairly well designed, shape, size, materials, except the zip is quite fine as sleeping bag zips go and it seems to catch the surrounding loose fabric quite easily, more so than other bags.
Mainly though i have slept out in it thorughout the last 5 months i.e. colder part of the year and found the temp rating is way off. The SF2 suggests comfort to -7 and extreme to -12, If i remember correctly. I would say more like -3 and -7, as i sleep fairly warm and was verging on being almost cold in about -2. i was wearing t shirt and boxers i think.
It compacts down fairly well, but the last couple of times i've been out recently i've reached for the woodlore instead, despite the bulkiness. I was thinking about selling the SF2 but not really sure.

any questions please ask..

they are fine I got them as a pressy last year

Mostly only use the thin one as i dont mind the cold and hate being to hot

like center zip and renforced boot area

Dont ever zip them together using the supplied panel way to complex
plus very very hot :Wow:

still prefer my old 58 army bag as its indestructable but its heavy and the wife says it smells bad :eek:

me for UK may use the thicker bag in the depths of winter but i annot see Me ever putting the 2 together

why cant you restuff a 58 pattern with modern fibre and panel it in Gortex :eek: mine has been TX10ed for nearly 20yrs but an update would be nice the modern bags are so delecate

ATB

Duncan

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
FGYT said:
they are fine I got them as a pressy last year

Mostly only use the thin one as i dont mind the cold and hate being to hot

like center zip and renforced boot area

Dont ever zip them together using the supplied panel way to complex
plus very very hot :Wow:

still prefer my old 58 army bag as its indestructable but its heavy and the wife says it smells bad :eek:

me for UK may use the thicker bag in the depths of winter but i annot see Me ever putting the 2 together

why cant you restuff a 58 pattern with modern fibre and panel it in Gortex :eek: mine has been TX10ed for nearly 20yrs but an update would be nice the modern bags are so delecate

ATB

Duncan

Agree with all you say, esp the bit about the bag smelling - mine is over 30 yrs old - and i discovered theyre filled with chicken feathers not down (explains a lot!!)
Im doing a winter survival course on the Hardanger next january and Im not sure how cold/hot ill be in a lavvusleeping directly on snow & spruce boughs so the double option has it covered either the light bag and some base layers or the heavy bag or both, the unused bag will make an underblanket if ness. And I REALLY miss the centre zip on civvy bags - I always seem to have to fight my way out of side seam zips

Cheers
Nick

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I have the SF2 too nick - found it fine at the winter moot with the underblanket - build quality is pretty good. Thought about the dual setup but decided i wouldnt need it in the uk using the underblanket. I think for your course it would be a good setup, if a little bulky - tho not as bulky as a 58 pattern

FGYT said:

ATB

Duncan[/QUOTE

You can still buy the 58 bags as new that were unissued... :)

I love centre zip bags and as a big guy I like a bit of room too. I have an 80's issue arctic bag that is essentially a copy of a 58 bag with no rubber base and down and feather fill inside. Mine smells too... I occassionally put mine in a tumble dryer to fluff it all up and dry out any moisture inside. This seems to work ok.

I've looked long and hard at modifying my bag and have thought hard about reflling it but to be honest I don't think it's possible. I think the easiest option would be to buy a proper goose down quilt and make an inner liner with it and I think /this is what I'm going to try and do with mine eventually. In the meantime I've sourced fibrepile and am going to stitch into the bag to create a liner inside.
I'm also going to buy some goretex and stitch it to the outside of the bag to create a breathable cover. I'll seal it with shoe goo or silicone rather than tape it up.

Canadian Guy

Sep 29, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I have the Snugpak SF combo and have been satisfied with its performance so far. I have not used both together but have only used the SF1 and SF2 separately, I should state I also have a Snugpak TS1 liner that is in the bags all the time. Despite the reports of Snugpaks temperature ratings being too optimistic I have found them about right (so far). Last winter I began to get cold in the SF2 on a winter training exercise but found out later it went down to -24 celcius! I was in a goretex bivvy bag at the time and after I threw a poncho liner around me I was warm again. No problems yet with the SF1. The comment about the zippers snagging seems to also be something I have been experiencing. Separately or together they roll up small and are relatively light and overall seem well made. I recommend the SF combo.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Sorry for leaving this thread for a while

Thanks all for the comments
I think im comvinced - all i need now is the Cash

Cheers
Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE