Snugpak Softie Elite Reversible Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi All, I'm after some info re the above jacket as I'm thinking of acquiring one

a) are they identical pocketwise when reversed ?

b) is the reinforcing on one side only ?

c) Is the sleeka reversible essentially the same jacket ?

d) How does the outer stand up to moving through rough, thorny scrub, as I tend to do a fair bit of this and I have almost de-armed my last two bushy jackets

Cheers, Sp :)

mutineer

Apr 30, 2013
Hampshire
Hi Spartan

I had, and recently sold a basic softie reversible from over 10 years ago. I only sold it because the size was wrong. Awesome jacket.
From my version I can tell you the following:
1) Mine had identical pockets when reversed.
2) Can't say. From pictures it looks one sided though. Also, the material behind the zip will be flapping in front of the zip when the jacket is reversed. I never liked this and ended up green side only.
3) Not sure what you mean by this question. The company is snugpak, the jacket is the Sleeka and the Softie is the material (In that order I think). So yes, it is the same thing. So if you hear a soldier say he is putting on his 'softie' it is the sleeka jacket made by snugpak.
4) DON'T move through rough thorny scrub without another outer layer. Soldiers will generally wear the jacket under the combat smock when working. BUT, for short stops or in a tent you can still lob it over the top of the smock if needed.

All in, these jackets are excellent and I fully intend to buy myself another when I magically become rich. I personally wouldn't bother with the reversible. When is the difference between green and black ever a real issue?

If you have the cash, it is a wise investment.

ATB
Nick

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the surplus one and matching trousers and they are great, but keep away from thorns or wear a smock over the top.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Fantastic jackets. THey will take a bit of a shower as the thickness keeps the wet away from your skin but they are not a waterproof substitute. Thin water proof over the top or a smock. Incredibly warm, atleast as warm as my posh Rab stuff. Like anything pertexy thorns and brambles will ende up with tears and rips. Perfect under my ventile smock in winter.

Edit, the stuff sack makes a great pillow and kees your jacket warm for the morning.

Last edited:

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, I'd seen a jacket advertised as a Snugpak Softie Elite Reversible Jacket so that's what I asumed it was called, it does however seem to be a sleeka as you say. Thanks for the tips about the scrub, I'll try and keep away or keep covered. I don't specifically need a reversible but I thought at £49.99 it was a bargain, so I went ahead and ordered one last night. I also managed, with a bit of social engineering over the phone to get it posted free of charge, which is nice :)

I reckon the chest pocket exists only on the black coloured side, from the pics

I'll let you know all about it and bung up some pics when it arrives, which should hopefully be tomorrow

Cheers and thanks again, Sp

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE