Snugpak Elite 3 Sleeping Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I am on the lookout for a new sleeping bag and quite like the looks of the Snugpak range, more specifically the Elite 3, that way it can be used on chilly night up here. I'm looking to change as the Pat 58 bag is a bit large (can take up quite a bit of room in a 60ltr pack) and heavy, even though its nice and snug.

Could anyone tell me how much smaller compressed is the Elite 3 compared to the Pat 58 Army Bag? A picture would be nice if there is one. :)

Cheers,
Andy

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
sorry i've sold my elite 3 so can't show a piccy, but i was surprised how large the elite 3 was even compressed.
i have a 58 bag also, and when i changed over to the snugpak, i was hit by how snug the fit was, and had to use it with the expanda panel deployed all the time.

that said it could compress smaller if you were really tough on it, and was very warm.
the reason's why i passed it on were..

to tight and made me feel a bit claustraphobic,(but am used to the big 58 bag!)
side zip, just couldn't get on with it after using the centre zip.

those of course are just opinions and they may differ to your experiences.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
sorry compared to the 58 compressed, about the same length unless you really heavily compressed it, and 2/3 the size in diameter.
i didn't compress mine unless using a small bag, and just bundled the kit in on top of it.

law4dkr

Jan 2, 2011
Herts/Notts
I haven't seen the particular bag you mention, but my brother does have a snugpack winter bag and in backpacking terms its massive even when compressed. Snugpack bags tend to be heavy too, I looked at them before buying my Alpkit and the weight really put me off.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I use the snugpak SF 2 Elite regularly and i think its tops. With the 3 season bag there is a centre zip which i like and it accommodates my "large abdominal circumference" quite adequately. in Norway last february it was brilliant (with the SF1 inside) at -38 and its fine on its own even in winter in UK. I have reccommended it to a couple of ex services mates who, like me, prefer a centre zip, especially in a hammock, and they have all been pleased. the lining is comfortable against bare skin and it has a reinforced bottom end if you need to keep footwear on.
If you buy both together (which i reccommend) you get the 2 bags, each with thier own compression bags, an expander panel to commect the two together for the real cold and a third compression bag big enough to take both bags zipped together.
Weight and size are available on thier website. Being holofil its a tad heavier than down but I pack one or the other regularly with no drama. Lightweight for the hot nights and heavier for the rest. I have only ever needed the two together for winter in Norway but having the two means that I can cut down on weight and size if the nights are warm. Snugpak also make a bivvie bag to match the system if you want one.
I would reccommend one to anybody as a really good compromise between weight & efficiency for the money.

Cheers

Nick

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have an Elite 3, and think it is brilliant. In my mind it compresses down to a tiny size for its warmth considering it is a synthetic bag, and I love the versatility of having the expanding baffle in it. Like a previous poster, i generally use this deployed, so the bag is in its widest form- and with it like this i can bring my knees up in the bag (and i am 6ft3). I've used it at all times of the year under a basha and not been cold- though i do sleep wearing my cloths, and during the winter, my softie jacket. If i got really cold in it, i suppose i would zip the baffle up and use it narrower, which would help.

To give you an idea of its size when compressed, i use a military stuff sack (as issued with the current bag), and with an issue bivi bag already over the outside of the elite 3, the two fit into the stuff sack, which can then easily be compressed to its maximum extent- i.e. so there is no more webbing tape available to pull through any of the four buckles. As an estimate, this probably creates a disc about 30cm diameter, by 15cm depth- and that includes the bulky issue goretex bivi bag!

Yes, I’m a big fan, and I own numerous other sleeping bags (softie 3, softie 10, issue sleeping bag, German army bag- and I’ve used others- '58 bag etc). For versatility, warmth to weight, compressibility, strength this is my favourite. I've not much experience with bags of a natural filling however, which generally win over on everything apart from warmth when wet, and possibly durability. For me though, warmth when wet is absolutely key.

Hope this helps!

Thanks guys, very helpful info.

Still uncertain whether to go for it, but I like your idea Nick about the double sleeping bag system. Are you talking about the Special Forces one rather than the Softie Elite?
I had a quick look at it on their website and looks pretty good.
The main thing is I prefer hammocking to sleeping on the ground so a centre zip would be good as my DD hammock only opens at one side.

But anything has to be lighter than the pat 58, just checked online and its in the 2kg range.

I will have a look at the Alpkit ones as well which seem pretty good from what I have read about them.

I did read that someone had an Elite 2 and that did pretty well down to 0 and seems to pack to less than 20 x 20cm.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used to have the Elite 4, great bag, nice and toasty but a bit on the heavy side. It compressed down fairly well but obviously not as much as a down equivalent. If I stuffed the Elite and Snugpak underblanket into my Sabre 75 it was probably about a third full.

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
You can use any of the elite sleeping bags (using the baffle system they have) to create a double sleeping system with different performances depending on which elite ranges you choose (1 to 5). I have two elite 3 which I zip together and so far it is extremely warm (too warm really). Not sure about arctic conditions - never had the chance to go - but it possibly has the same volume if not more volume of insulation than the SF combo (I'm am only guessing mind!).

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ive got the elite 3 and I would say its alright.
IMO its rating is way optomistic (most bags are) and think at 0oc you would be freezing your doo dars.
I didn't know about the zipping bags together and considering im after a summer bag may now go down that route.
The side zip is a pain and its snags alot.
Compressed size is not as small as stated but the compression bag is good.
I think I have the 58 patt is it the down one?
D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE